Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - How to add passwd command support to QNX OS image?

How to add passwd command support to QNX OS image?

anything that doesn't fit to other groups.

How to add passwd command support to QNX OS image?

Postby midlevel » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:46 pm

I am working on a system builder project where I am building an OS image for a PPC 440EP device. What is the correct way of adding passwd or any other command that enables setting password for root user? My current project status is as following.
I have added passwd binary to the project (/bin). Also /etc/passwd file exists. When I try to set root password for QNX with passwd root command, I get the following error:

unable to lock password database (No such file or directory)

After creating the image, adding files or folders to /etc is not doable (I think because it is read-only). Please provide step by step instructions for adding passwd from the beginning. I think I have not been doing it correctly until now.
midlevel

Re: How to add passwd command support to QNX OS image?

Postby denkelly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:44 pm

The /etc/ directory must be read/write so /etc/passwd can be saved. If you create /etc/passwd in the ifs, you can never change password.

One option is to mount a devb-ram instance at /etc and copy passwd file there. You will be able to change the password - but of course it will only last until you reboot.
denkelly

Postby midlevel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 am

denkelly wrote:The /etc/ directory must be read/write so /etc/passwd can be saved. If you create /etc/passwd in the ifs, you can never change password.

One option is to mount a devb-ram instance at /etc and copy passwd file there. You will be able to change the password - but of course it will only last until you reboot.

Could you give more details on how to do this? Do you mean if I set password by this method, I will lose it after a reboot or I won't be able to set it again?
When I run these commands it has no effect.
Code: Select all
# cd /etc
# df
/dev/fs0p1                100096        79    100016       1%  /fs0p1         
# devb-ram ram capacity=2000 &
[1] 155663
# Path=0 -
 target=0 lun=0     Direct-Access(0) - ram  Rev:

[1] + Done                 devb-ram ram capacity=20
# df
/dev/fs0p1                100096        79    100016       1%  /fs0p1         
#
midlevel

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 pm

You lose it after a reboot.

You've created the Ram drive. You now have to mount it. You need something like:

devb-ram ram capacity=2000 &
waitfor /dev/hd1t77 2 (wait 2 second for Ram drive to appear)
mount -t qnx4 /dev/hd1t77 /etc (where you want to mount it)

Note: The output from your 'df' command doesn't look right (I don't see the Ram drive listed by 'df' so I wonder if the command failed in some manner).

Tim
Tim

Postby Thunderblade » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 am

If you want persistent file storage, naturally you need to add a filesystem like fs-qnx4 or fs-qnx6 to your system (for block devices).Or a devf driver (for NOR flash) or fs-etfs (for NAND flash). Is one of the three part of your BSP? If so, start the corresponding driver and filesystem, create a partition, and in there you can then create directories and files, like /etc/, and so on, and change them.

Cheers,

- Malte
Thunderblade

Return to General Programming