Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - BOUNTY: KDE for QNX

BOUNTY: KDE for QNX

This is where you can ask a software to be ported or written for QNX. You can also request to buy/sell second hand software.

Postby QNXtreme » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:50 pm

> QNXExtreme, I think the problem you're coming across here, is that there is no obvious reason to have KDE on QNX

Just like there was no obvious reason for KDE on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc., right?

> I mean, if I wanted to use KDE (I'll concede that I don't) I'd just run it on one of the Operating Systems that it's already available for.

I don't want KDE on some other OS, I want it on the one I'm doing work with. That OS just so happens to be QNX. I do real work.

> I just don't see why making one OS (QNX) similar to another 10 misc. OS (Solaris, GNU/Linux, AIX, HP-UX, I could go on) will suddenly make it more popular.

You might want to ask why those operating systems, at least the first two, are more popular than QNX. You might then want to ask yourself how KDE factors into that. That might not give you a comprehensive answer, but it'll certainly give you a good start. I ain't here to do your thinking for ya, bud.

> When I first started to use QNX, what made it attractive was that it was a pleasant, lightweight UNIX-alike without the nasty cruft
> of UNIX, and with a very attractive snappy GUI which again did away with the cruft of X11.

Okay, you'll still have all that. If you don't wanna use KDE, then don't run it. Porting KDE to QNX isn't going to force you to use it. Am I missing something here?

> I think your enthusiasm is to be commended though.

Thanks, bro. Respect.
QNXtreme

Postby corey_s » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 am

Here's a different angle:

Instead of worrying about KDE on QNX immediately, focus instead on getting a QT/Phonon (vs. QT/X11) operable.

QT is an excellent development toolkit, so while some folks might begrudge a "desktop environment", those same people are likely to see the benefit of a high-quality C++ tookit being ported to use Phonon natively.

Once QT/Phonon is functional; then focus can move to getting just kdelibs ported.

Once kdelibs - and whatever external dependencies are necessary - is functional, at that point it would be clear how much more of kde would be useful on QNX.

The QT/Phonon implementation will probably be a much easier thing to do once Phonon's source becomes available per the QNX hybrid-license.
corey_s

Postby mario » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:13 am

QNXExtreme: I'm not going to debate/explain each argument, waste of your time and mine. All I'm going to say is the foundry27 ( community.qnx.com ) would probably be the best place for anyone ( you maybe? ) to drive/coordinated a project like getting KDE on QNX. I don't know who you should contact to get this show on the road but this is the place to do it. There are already some projects going on (like vmware support).
mario
QNX Master

Postby corey_s » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:03 pm

I realized I kept saying 'QT/Phonon' ... when what I meant (hopefully obviously) was 'QT/Photon'.

Phonon is a cross-platform multimedia framework. http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/a ... 2263733764
corey_s

Re: BOUNTY: KDE for QNX

Postby justinlooney » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Is it time to develop a beautiful Desktop GUI environment for BB10/QNX? I for one would love to see QNX with a KDE, GNOME, Unity, type GUI.

I get what is being proposed and the counter argument. If you want KDE just go to Linux. I don't want to go to Linux because QNX is better.

Does anyone know if a Desktop GUI is being developed? I believe we have Qt and Momentics IDE, so whats the next step?
justinlooney

Re: BOUNTY: KDE for QNX

Postby maschoen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:48 pm

The original thread was from 2007. Things have changed a lot in 2014. Since Qt 5.+ is now working in Beta on QNX under Screen, it is a possibility. I've heard rumors that it may even be a reality. Rumors.
maschoen
QNX Master

Previous

Return to Request Software