Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Read-only archive of qnx.public.sysadmin at inn.qnx.com

6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby John Nagle » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:38 am

So 6.3 shows up, and on page 2 of the installation instructions,
for QNX Neutrino hosts, we see "You must do a fresh installation
of this software". So how do we upgrade from 6.21? Are there
any utilities to help? I assume we have to save all our files
to another machine and reinstall everything.

Also, what self-destructs are in the QNX Neutrino version?
Is there anything for which the clock value really matters?
I can live with the development tools turning off, but
is there any way the clock value can kill a real-time program
for "licensing" reasons?

(We've been installing standard PE on a few x86 realtime targets,
because they have plenty of disk and making an embedded
boot image isn't really necessary.)

John Nagle
Team Overbot
John Nagle
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby John Nagle » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:53 am

More migration questions:

We have a LAN with some QNX 6.21 machines and now, a
QNX 6.3 x86 machine. And they won't talk QNET across versions.
Is there an incompatibility, or what?

I created the "useqnet" file in "config" per the
6.3 documentation, and rebooted. "/net" appeared,
but the only entry in it is the local machine.
The 6.21 machines see each other, but not the
6.3 machine.

The 6.21 machines start qnet with

mount -T io-net -o \
"ticksize=200,sstimer=0x00140014" /lib/dll/npm-qnet.so

per instructions from Xiaodan Tang.

TCP-IP network connectivity works fine on the 6.3 machine,
so the network itself is fine.

John Nagle
Team Overbot


John Nagle wrote:
So 6.3 shows up, and on page 2 of the installation instructions,
for QNX Neutrino hosts, we see "You must do a fresh installation
of this software". So how do we upgrade from 6.21? Are there
any utilities to help? I assume we have to save all our files
to another machine and reinstall everything.

Also, what self-destructs are in the QNX Neutrino version?
Is there anything for which the clock value really matters?
I can live with the development tools turning off, but
is there any way the clock value can kill a real-time program
for "licensing" reasons?

(We've been installing standard PE on a few x86 realtime targets,
because they have plenty of disk and making an embedded
boot image isn't really necessary.)

John Nagle
Team Overbot
John Nagle
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby inn.qnx.com » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:14 am

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:53:48 -0700, John Nagle <nagle@overbot.com> wrote:

More migration questions:

We have a LAN with some QNX 6.21 machines and now, a
QNX 6.3 x86 machine. And they won't talk QNET across versions.
Is there an incompatibility, or what?

I created the "useqnet" file in "config" per the
6.3 documentation, and rebooted. "/net" appeared,
but the only entry in it is the local machine.
The 6.21 machines see each other, but not the
6.3 machine.

The 6.21 machines start qnet with

mount -T io-net -o \
"ticksize=200,sstimer=0x00140014" /lib/dll/npm-qnet.so

per instructions from Xiaodan Tang.

TCP-IP network connectivity works fine on the 6.3 machine,
so the network itself is fine.

Check out npm-qnet-compat.so
"If you want to use this version of Qnet, make /lib/dll/npm-qnet.so a
symbolic link to npm-qnet-compat.so. By default, npm-qnet.so is a symbolic
link to npm-qnet-l4_lite.so."
inn.qnx.com
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby John Nagle » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:58 am

OK, that worked. Thanks.

The documentation for 6.21 to 6.3 compatibility
doesn't indicate a protocol-level incompatibility. It just
says that you have to make some changes if you have a custom driver.
This could use a bit more visibility.

What about options for QNET? Do we need things like
Xiaodan Tang advised us to use with 6.21, or has that
bug been fixed? This was a workaround for io-net
crashes when QNET was used over a WLAN.

mount -T io-net -o
"ticksize=200,sstimer=0x00140014"
/lib/dll/npm-qnet.so

What's new in QNET "lite", incidentally? Should we
switch everything over?

John Nagle
Team Overbot

inn.qnx.com wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:53:48 -0700, John Nagle <nagle@overbot.com> wrote:

More migration questions:

We have a LAN with some QNX 6.21 machines and now, a
QNX 6.3 x86 machine. And they won't talk QNET across versions.
Is there an incompatibility, or what?


Check out npm-qnet-compat.so
"If you want to use this version of Qnet, make /lib/dll/npm-qnet.so a
symbolic link to npm-qnet-compat.so. By default, npm-qnet.so is a
symbolic link to npm-qnet-l4_lite.so."
John Nagle
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby Andrew Wagner » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:23 pm

I see no answer to Mr. Nagel's original question: So how do we upgrade from
6.21? Di a message get deleted from this thread?

"John Nagle" <nagle@overbot.com> wrote in message
news:cgohc5$kv8$1@inn.qnx.com...
So 6.3 shows up, and on page 2 of the installation instructions,
for QNX Neutrino hosts, we see "You must do a fresh installation
of this software". So how do we upgrade from 6.21? Are there
any utilities to help? I assume we have to save all our files
to another machine and reinstall everything.

Also, what self-destructs are in the QNX Neutrino version?
Is there anything for which the clock value really matters?
I can live with the development tools turning off, but
is there any way the clock value can kill a real-time program
for "licensing" reasons?

(We've been installing standard PE on a few x86 realtime targets,
because they have plenty of disk and making an embedded
boot image isn't really necessary.)

John Nagle
Team Overbot
Andrew Wagner
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby Frank Liu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:47 am

Andrew Wagner <awagner@icecube.wisc.edu> wrote:
I see no answer to Mr. Nagel's original question: So how do we upgrade from
6.21? Di a message get deleted from this thread?

That was an old post from John.
I think I read somewhere that he decided to say with QNX 6.21.

Frank
Frank Liu
 

Re: 6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby John Nagle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:00 am

Frank Liu wrote:

Andrew Wagner <awagner@icecube.wisc.edu> wrote:

I see no answer to Mr. Nagel's original question: So how do we upgrade from
6.21? Di a message get deleted from this thread?


That was an old post from John.
I think I read somewhere that he decided to say with QNX 6.21.

Frank

Yes, we stayed with QNX 6.21. It's been working well for us.

John Nagle
Team Overbot
John Nagle
 

re:6.21 to 6.3 x86 desktop upgrade - how?

Postby ycy3366 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:56 am

I also try to type in terminal

mount -T io-net -o
"ticksize=200,sstimer=0x00140014"
/lib/dll/npm-qnet.so

but there is a warning
mount : Can't mount / (type io-net)
mount : Possible reason: Resource busy

however, i need to type

slay -f io-net
io-net-d speedo did=0x1039,vid=0x8086,verbose -p tcpip

first so that i can use the lan card
ycy3366
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:16 am


Return to qnx.public.sysadmin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest