Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - about network printer

about network printer

For the old QNX2 and QNX4 RTOS

about network printer

Postby Pogoda » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Good Day! As all we know, what if we share printer connected to some Windows OS, we can connect it to qnx 4.25 OS via SMBfsys. But how we can connect network printer directly to qnx 4.25 OS without using Windows OS? Cause if we setup any printer in Windows, install interface offers us to install local or network printer. Any ideas how to connect network printer directly to qnx 4.25 OS? Thank you! :)
Pogoda

RE: about network printer

Postby maschoen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Usually when asked the question "local or network" network means by a network interface, usually ethernet, but sometimes wireless and possibly firewire or other connection that can be shared. Local usually means via USB, parallel or serial port, a connection that cannot be shared. What connections does the printer support?
maschoen
QNX Master

Postby Pogoda » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh, sorry. Speak english a little. :) Yes, I mean connect to printer via ethernet network interface. Printer support USB, but can installed in Windows by ip-adress.
Pogoda

Postby panda » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Can you mount anything from the windows machine using SMBfsys?
If yes you can use the windows printer spooler.

What kind of protocol is the printers interface supporting?
lpd -> you can use the QNX4 builtin stuff
RawApps -> I will send you a "netcat" ported to QNX4
panda

Re: RE: about network printer

Postby maschoen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Pogoda wrote:Oh, sorry. Speak english a little. :) Yes, I mean connect to printer via ethernet network interface. Printer support USB, but can installed in Windows by ip-adress.

Then it is not a local printer, even if your network consists only of the printer and the computer.
maschoen
QNX Master

RE: Re: RE: about network printer

Postby Pogoda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:16 pm

uff. We have in our LAN printers with ethernet interface, which connect to Windows by ip-adress. How I can connect this printer with ethernet interface to QNX machine without SMBfsys?
Pogoda

Postby panda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Please go onto the web interface of the printer and check the supported protocols.
If you have a good network printer it will support the lpd protocol and then you can use the printer inherent spooling mechanism.
If it support "RawApps" you can send streams from the QNX4 machine using netcat but you can come into troubles if the print server in the network printer accepts two streams at the same time.
panda

Postby Pogoda » Fri May 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Ok. Can you send me "netcat" ported to QNX4, please? To my e-mail? Or there I can find netcat ported to qnx? Links in themes in this forum with this subject are not work.
Pogoda

netcat

Postby panda » Tue May 05, 2009 8:42 pm

There is the archive for
usr/local/bin/netcat
Attachments
netcat.tar.gz
(50.49 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
panda

Return to QNX2 and QNX4