Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - Reading QNX2 formatted floppies

Reading QNX2 formatted floppies

For the old QNX2 and QNX4 RTOS

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reading QNX2 formatted flopp

Postby Smalldog » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

mario wrote:Yes both QNX4 and QNX2 works in VMwARE. In fact if the system you are using is only using serial port (no arcnet) it might just work in VMware.

The system is not connected to a network. It has an 8 port serial card that's hooked up to the industrial machines that report to it.

I'll give VMWare a shot as well..

This is a pretty positive outlook that there are a few possibilities that will work for me to accomplish this project.

The help you guys have offered is invaluable, and I hope that it can help others in the future..
Smalldog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reading QNX2 formatted f

Postby mario » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:45 am

8 serial ports on a 286, ouch. It does sound like a specialized card, and not 8 "standard" serial ports.
mario
QNX Master

Postby maschoen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 pm

I remember these cards, though I forget the brand name. The only thing specialized was the shared interrupt. Top baud rate was either 9600 or 19,200. And the 286 had no trouble keeping up with the baud rate as I recall. I think there might even have been room for two of these.

More comes back to me. I recall someone using two of these hooked up to 300 baud modems as a message board. And this may have been on an 8088. Quite impressive both at the time and in hindsite.
maschoen
QNX Master

Postby JWR » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:07 am

We had two of these cards giving us 16 ports running at 9600 baud on an industrial 286 as the one of the main servers on our QNX network back in the late 1980's or very early 90's. I retired in Jan 1992, so it had been installed for a few years before that. Worked very well.

If the OP's backup files are in FBACKUP format, can he still access them via QDOS or some such? I have forgotten what format FBACKUP diskettes are, and my QNX 2 manuals are still packed after a recent move.
JWR

Postby maschoen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 am

fbackup was a little like a tar file, layed out onto the sectors of a diskette. Both QNX 2 and QNX 4 supported this, as it was the original route for moving data between them. The QNX 2 file system for QNX 4 came later. fbackup had one notable shortcoming which was that it had a 32 meg limit. This turned up when I tried to use it on 100 Meg Zip disks.
maschoen
QNX Master

Previous

Return to QNX2 and QNX4