Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - QNX4 Photon - two monitors - did you managed?

QNX4 Photon - two monitors - did you managed?

For the old QNX2 and QNX4 RTOS

Re: QNX4 Photon - two monitors - did you managed?

Postby Pilotek » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 am

Thank you maschoen for your interest and effort. In first step we can use standard resolutions e.g. 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

I think that we should forget about AGP graphic cards - this way is closed in these days. But PCI and PCI-Express are OK (you could buy older chipset models at least from second hand).

I succeeded in Photon with wide resolutions 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 with several graphic card + monitor combinations by editing properly the crtc-settings.[node] file in etc/config/trap. But maybe (don't remember) that all the cases were with native (accelerated) Photon driver.

That's my question - if it is even possible to set up two monitors with any two supported (accelerated) graphic cards too? Or only with 3DFX Voodoo Banshee or cards supported by Hydra.ms/vesabios.

Yes, you are exactly at that point - you have two graphic "cards" (show_pci sees them as two graphic adapters) but Hydra.ms -T and crttrap trap don't list the parameters for both of them.

Maybe show_pci -v[vv] shows some important parameters?
Pilotek

Postby maschoen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm

show_pci showed the memory address and I/O ports. When I changed these for the 2nd card, I got very strange results. I think there is something weird about the matrox cards as they seem to need two programs, a BIOS and a driver. I'm going to try ATI next.
maschoen
QNX Master

Postby maschoen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:45 am

Well my pile of legacy equipment has let me down. The PCI cards did not let me create two monitors. I tried another machine with an AGP slot, and though QNX 4 installs, it does not boot? I can't figure out why. This was a much faster machine, even though it is already on the junk heap. Sorry about that.
maschoen
QNX Master

Previous

Return to QNX2 and QNX4