Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - QNX 6.6 release

QNX 6.6 release

Discussion about the QNX6 OS.

Re: QNX 6.6 release

Postby mario » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:43 pm

maschoen wrote:
denkelly wrote:>>>there doesn't seem to be any straight forward way to create a QNX target file system from Momentics.
Checkout the new 6.6 commandline utilitity - mkqnx6fsimg

Thanks Dennis,

I've been asking about this problem for over 3 weeks and you are the first person to mention this utility.

Mitchell

Yeah but that doesn't solve the problem how you write this onto your target .
mario
QNX Master

Postby mario » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Thunderblade wrote:The recommendation is to create an HTML5 HMI instead, that communicates e.g. via sockets with the main, headless application process(es). An HTML5 user interface can run natively on QNX 6.6, and can be run remotely using ANY device, like PC, Tablet, Phone. Something I always hated about Phindows was that it wasn't available for my WiFi-enabled PDA (back in the days...) and that it wasn't available for my Smartphone. HTML5 is available everywhere.

If it's to be display natively the browswer add lots of overhead compare to simple draw request sent to screen or photon.

Furthermore all HTML applications develop with QNX tools (not sure it if included in 6.6 or separated product or not yet release) can only be displayed in Torch( the QNX browser) and NOT, yep NOT in any other browser.

All the HTML stuff I did so far I've done with Witty ( HTML library ) since QWindows was drooped i have avoided as much as possible to really on anything GUI related comming from QNX.

By the way QT stuff is probably ok if you're are a big customer who will sell lots of unit, but I get the feeling that for smaller market the cost of going through a 3rd party solution is going to be prohibitive, but that's just a guess, did check.
mario
QNX Master

Postby maschoen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 pm

mario wrote:[
By the way QT stuff is probably ok if you're are a big customer who will sell lots of unit, but I get the feeling that for smaller market the cost of going through a 3rd party solution is going to be prohibitive, but that's just a guess, did check.

Qt is open source. There are two licenses. One is a commercial license that you pay for and presumably can get support from Digia with. The alternative is a GNU license. The GNU license lets you use Qt for free, however you must use external .so files or disclose your code. For most users this is just a technicality.
maschoen
QNX Master

Postby mario » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 pm

maschoen wrote:
mario wrote:[

Qt is open source. There are two licenses. One is a commercial license that you pay for and presumably can get support from Digia with. The alternative is a GNU license. The GNU license lets you use Qt for free, however you must use external .so files or disclose your code. For most users this is just a technicality.

If it sounds so simple why not include it as part of the OS. And why so many people having problem building it
mario
QNX Master

Postby jinma » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 pm

So Mario, were you able to run Photon on 6.6 with phrelay and get Phindows to work? can you share how you did it?
jinma

Postby mario » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 pm

jinma wrote:So Mario, were you able to run Photon on 6.6 with phrelay and get Phindows to work? can you share how you did it?

Yes, but because of the way we build our custom image for customers the way I did it doesn`t really apply to most people setup, it think.

I basically took our 6.5 build setup, then overwrote every executable one by one from the 6.6, release. That left Photon intact and I didn`t had to figure out which files were needed for Photon as that work was already done when we create our 6.5 build. It pretty much worked first time.

The only problem I have encountered so far is "on -f 'localnode' doesn't work anymore
mario
QNX Master

Postby jinma » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:46 pm

I see so basically, you are using 6.6 kernel and built 6.5.0 filesystem with photon lib and binaries (without recompiling) since they are compatible. Phrelay and Phindows work also as expected? This is promising, I will try it my self in the coming month as well.
jinma

Postby mario » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 pm

In fact at one point I, by mistake, used a boot file (with proc/net/disk stuff) I created with 6.6, use it on our 6.5 custom distribution and it worked.
mario
QNX Master

Postby maschoen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:08 pm

An update here is overdue. Unfortunately the mkqnx6fsimg utility does not work in the context I was looking for. It will not create a bootable x86 QNX partition image. :-(.

So the only way to resolve my problem using only QNX 6.6 right now is to use the QNX provided VMWare target. This creates a chicken and egg problem, since there's no way for a QNX user to create this VMware.

maschoen wrote:
denkelly wrote:>>>there doesn't seem to be any straight forward way to create a QNX target file system from Momentics.
Checkout the new 6.6 commandline utilitity - mkqnx6fsimg

Thanks Dennis,

I've been asking about this problem for over 3 weeks and you are the first person to mention this utility.

Mitchell
maschoen
QNX Master

Previous

Return to QNX6 - OS