Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - Directory limit

Directory limit

Discussion about the general applications that run on QNX6

Directory limit

Postby Cheetah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi,
Compact flash on our target has one partitition 2GB with qnx4 file system. I would like to limit the size of a directory to say 200MB for example. Does qnx provide any such utility to do this?

I was reading through below link. I'm looking something like this for QNX 6.4.1.

http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questi ... limit.html

Thanks,
Cheetah
Cheetah

Re: Directory limit

Postby mario » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Not to my knowledge.

However you may be able to do something similar. Create a filesystem image of 200MB and mount it under the name of the directory you want to limit.
mario
QNX Master

Re: Directory limit

Postby maschoen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:43 am

Cheetah wrote:Hi,
Compact flash on our target has one partitition 2GB with qnx4 file system. I would like to limit the size of a directory to say 200MB for example. Does qnx provide any such utility to do this?
I was reading through below link. I'm looking something like this for QNX 6.4.1.
http://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questi ... limit.html
Thanks,
Cheetah

It would be possible to create a filter resource manager. It would own the users file space, which would be projected onto the file system. Most of the i/o calls would be passed on to the file system. The write() call would have a new failure mode, "Allocate Used Up".

This would be a lot of work, especially if you are not familiar wit resource managers. There is some cpu overhead involved, but on a fast processor, say anything like a Pentium IV, it would probably not be very noticeable.
maschoen
QNX Master

Return to QNX6 - Applications