Skip navigation.
Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - QNX Open Source

QNX Open Source

Discussion about the QNX6 OS.

QNX Open Source

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:56 am

I understand that on September 12, 2007, the source code to the Neutrino kernel and base C library was released. I was wondering if the source code to the servers was also released. I am planning to make a small open source QNX distribution and was wondering if it was possible.
xsolarwindx

RE: QNX Open Source

Postby mario » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Not sure what you mean by servers. Some components are still missing, like photon and some tcpip stuff.

That being said I'm not sure you are legaly allow to redistribute it. Open Source doesn't mean free ;-)
mario
QNX Master

Postby ysinitsky » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Hello Xsolarwindx ,
Many of QNX Board Support Packages (BSP’s) contain the source code of resource managers and drivers.
Please check
http://community.qnx.com/sf/sfmain/do/v ... ojects.bsp

Regards,
Yuriy
ysinitsky

Postby ysinitsky » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Hello,
I completely agree with Mario. Please read copyright and license notes at the beginning of each QNX source code module.
Regards,
Yuriy
ysinitsky

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Open Source means Open Source, which I plan to follow.

Please read: http://www4.osnews.com/story/18596/QNX_ ... w:_QNX_CEO

7. Which license(s) will be used for the open source parts?

Dan: We aren't releasing the OS code under an open source license. Rather, we're using a commercial-friendly licensing model that gives developers and customers the option of either keeping their source modifications or donating them back to the community. If fact, we're providing three licenses: one for commercial users, one for noncommercial users, and one for QNX technology partners. When you register, you identify which license is appropriate to your interests. For instance, if you're a student, academic faculty member, or hobbyist developer, you choose the noncommercial license, which provides access to development tools and runtime components free of charge.

8. Will it be possible for 3rd parties/the community to create a 'distribution' of QNX specifically tailored for desktop usage?

Dan: Definitely. In fact, developers could even take the existing OS code and port it to hardware architectures that QNX doesn't currently support. QNX will, of course, maintain its strong focus on the embedded market; it's our bread and butter. But flexibility is a key strength of our architecture, so we're sure that the community will take it in some interesting directions, the desktop included.
xsolarwindx

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 pm

So I guess I'm good to go.

From wikipedia:
A microkernel is a minimal computer operating system kernel which, in its purest form, provides no operating-system services at all, only the mechanisms needed to implement such services, such as low-level address space management, thread management, and inter-process communication (IPC). If the microkernel has a kernelmode-usermode distinction, the microkernel is the only part of the system executing in a kernel mode. The actual operating-system services are provided by "user-mode" servers. These include device drivers, protocol stacks, file systems and user-interface code.

My original question was, does the Open Source QNX come with all those servers and drivers and what not, or are they still closed source? Is it ONLY the neutrino kernel that's released or is it the whole suite of servers and so on needed to make a more or less complete operating system.
xsolarwindx

Re: RE: QNX Open Source

Postby xtang » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 pm

mario wrote:Not sure what you mean by servers. Some components are still missing, like photon and some tcpip stuff.

Which part of TCPIP stuff is missing? I thought core_network have them all (ok, it's next gen, but ... it does have them all is it? :)

To original question, I believe the "intention" is to open them all. But due to the large amount of source we have to scan, it will take time. As of now, the kernel/libc/<some services>/next gen tcpip/all bsps are opened I believe.
xtang
QNX Master

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:23 pm

xtang wrote:
mario wrote:Not sure what you mean by servers. Some components are still missing, like photon and some tcpip stuff.

Which part of TCPIP stuff is missing? I thought core_network have them all (ok, it's next gen, but ... it does have them all is it? :)

To original question, I believe the "intention" is to open them all. But due to the large amount of source we have to scan, it will take time. As of now, the kernel/libc/<some services>/next gen tcpip/all bsps are opened I believe.

Thats awesome! So do you think it's enough to get a simple QNX setup working from scratch just by building sources?
xsolarwindx

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Thats awesome! So do you think it's enough to get a simple QNX setup working from scratch just by building sources?

Note: the forum quote divs are messed up.
xsolarwindx

Postby mario » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:28 pm

xtang wrote:Which part of TCPIP stuff is missing? I thought core_network have them all (ok, it's next gen, but ... it does have them all is it? :)

No it doesn't. rcp isn't there so is ftpd etc.
mario
QNX Master

Postby mario » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:31 pm

xsolarwindx wrote:Thats awesome! So do you think it's enough to get a simple QNX setup working from scratch just by building sources?

I don't think it's simple, there is stuff missing all over the place, and there would be no GUI.

I'm curious though, aside the fun factor, what would be the benefit of redistributing what is already available in binary form? Unless you have some secret plan you didn't mention ;-)
mario
QNX Master

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Because it would be source based. I could compile an ftp server myself, couldn't I?
xsolarwindx

RE: Re: RE: QNX Open Source

Postby xsolarwindx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Also, I don't need a GUI. If I really wanted one, couldn't I just compile X and Fluxbox/Openbox or whatever?
xsolarwindx

Postby mario » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:58 pm

xsolarwindx wrote:Because it would be source based.

I must be missing something?

xsolarwindx wrote:I could compile an ftp server myself, couldn't I?

Yes you could, the QNX stack is based on NetBsd, I guess you could give that a try.
mario
QNX Master

Re: RE: Re: RE: QNX Open Source

Postby mario » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 pm

xsolarwindx wrote:Also, I don't need a GUI. If I really wanted one, couldn't I just compile X and Fluxbox/Openbox or whatever?

Either you have never done that before or you have lots of expertise in the field. You make it sound a little too simple ;-) No offense intended.

Good luck.
mario
QNX Master

Next

Return to QNX6 - OS