Home
The QNX Community Portal

View topic - QNX4 installation in VirtualBox

QNX4 installation in VirtualBox

For the old QNX2 and QNX4 RTOS

QNX4 installation in VirtualBox

Postby michalek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi,
I tried to install QNX 4.25 ( 2011 CD ) in VirtualBox 4.2.* ( 4.2.6 recently ), Win7 64bit host. Installation
always failed during autodetecting hardware phase ( window of QNX Installer 2011 disappeared from screen ). I found
solution:
- run installation in diagnostic mode / F12
- deselect PCI BIOS, SCSI controllers, network cards (ethernet, arcnet, token ring, ... )
With these settings QNX installation was successfull.

Just want to ask: is there any option in virtual machine which can cause smooth installation of QNX?
( i used default HW settings of virtual machine, disable audio, use INTEL PRO/1000 T Server network card )
michalek

Re: QNX4 installation in VirtualBox

Postby xoy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 am

I have been almost all good. I installed on a Linux * VirtalBox4.2. I used sleduyuschuu configuration

Dsable APIC
Enable virtualziation
IDE controller PIIX4
Network PCnet-FAST III (Am79c973)
Disable com port
Disable USB

I chose a diagnostic mode to boot into the VGA mode.
After install run crttrap and get normal resolution.
xoy

Postby Pilotek » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

I would like to ask a question in this thread.

We can install and run QNX 4.25 as a Guest OS on Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit Host machine - in ORACLE VirtualBox 5.0.16.
We can add physical FDD drive to the QNX4 VM. We can see fd0 in /dev in QNX4. We can launch Fsys.floppy &. We can mount /dev/fd0 /fd0.

But we are not able to read the QNX floppy disk's files (floppy is OK - we can read the files in physical PC with QNX 4.25 installed).

Are there some special parameters to launch Fsys.floppy & or some VirtualBox parameters to be able to read QNX Filesystem from physical floppies inserted into physical FDD drive of the Host XP machine?

Thank you.
Pilotek

Postby ingraham » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't know if you can do it directly. You might be able to get Windows to create a disk image (using Win32 Disk Imager for example) and then mount the image in VirtualBox, rather than the actual drive.
ingraham

Postby Pilotek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:29 pm

That would mean that there is no way to read physical diskettes directly from Physical FDD drive installed in Host Windows computer from VirtualBox Guest OSs that are non-Windows?

Linux Guest VMs installed in VirtualBox on Windows Host (physical) machine cannot read Linux-filesystem physical floppies inserted into physical FDD of Windows machine too?

What would then be the reason of existience of "Storage - FDD" in VirtualBox Configuration? Only for Windows/DOS Guest on Windows Host?
Pilotek

Postby ingraham » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Pilotek wrote:That would mean that there is no way to read physical diskettes directly from Physical FDD drive installed in Host Windows computer from VirtualBox Guest OSs that are non-Windows?

I don't know if that's generally true or not. I have no Windows systems with floppy drives to try it on. But I think the issue is not the guest OS, but that the Windows host can't read the filesystem. If the disk is DOS-formated / FAT16, your guest OS should be able to read it. I believe this is also true of other storage devices, including USB.
Pilotek wrote:What would then be the reason of existence of "Storage - FDD" in VirtualBox Configuration? Only for Windows/DOS Guest on Windows Host?

I believe that the guest OS can read only a disk that the host OS can read. It's just that Windows is limited to a very few filesystems. Also, it's useful for mounting disk images, which the host OS does have to be able to read. I have used floppy images in my QNX4 guest without issue. I didn't create them in Windows, however. I used dd on a QNX box, then transferred the image via USB to my Windows machine. I believe Linux dd will also work. Actually, for that matter Linux has support for the QNX4 filesystem read-only, assuming your kernel has it.
ingraham

Postby Pilotek » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 am

Thank you very much ingraham - your answers are not only of high level of experience but also written very well - even for non-native-english speaking person.
Pilotek

Postby Pilotek » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 pm

One more question in this thread: QNX4 + Photon installed in ORACLE VM VirtualBox 5. PS/2 mouse is not functioning properly in Photon (while moving the mouse, various popups are opening as if I were clicking mouse buttons or so).

In QNX text console after launching "inputtrap start" the same PS/2 mouse works OK.

Are there some special parameters in VirtualBox configuration or in QNX4 etc/config/trap/input.[node] to fix this problem or...?
Pilotek

Return to QNX2 and QNX4