QNX native networking over 802.11?

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.installation
Post Reply
John Nagle

QNX native networking over 802.11?

Post by John Nagle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:33 am

We need to interconnect two LANs which use QNX native networking
over an 802.11 bridge. Will this work? What's some suggested
hardware? Most of the 802.11 boxes available have IP routers
built in, and may not be able to deal with QNX networking.

The application is to connect our robot vehicle (5 QNX
nodes on 100baseT) to a base station (the network in
our shop, or a laptop during testing).

Suggestions?

John Nagle
Team Overbot

Hugh Brown

Re: QNX native networking over 802.11?

Post by Hugh Brown » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:11 pm

Is this QNX4 or QNX6?

"John Nagle" <nagle@downside.com> wrote in message
We need to interconnect two LANs which use QNX native networking
over an 802.11 bridge. Will this work? What's some suggested
hardware? Most of the 802.11 boxes available have IP routers
built in, and may not be able to deal with QNX networking.

The application is to connect our robot vehicle (5 QNX
nodes on 100baseT) to a base station (the network in
our shop, or a laptop during testing).

Suggestions?

John Nagle
Team Overbot

Chris McKillop

Post by Chris McKillop » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:54 pm

John Nagle <nagle@downside.com> wrote:
We need to interconnect two LANs which use QNX native networking
over an 802.11 bridge. Will this work? What's some suggested
hardware? Most of the 802.11 boxes available have IP routers
built in, and may not be able to deal with QNX networking.

The application is to connect our robot vehicle (5 QNX
nodes on 100baseT) to a base station (the network in
our shop, or a laptop during testing).

Suggestions?
You should be able to get a transparent bridge. Even the ones that do
fun stuff with IP packets should handle qnet fine. I have used a BreezeCOM
bridge with QNX4 in the past with no troubles for native networking.

John Nagle

Re: QNX native networking over 802.11?

Post by John Nagle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:26 pm

QNX 6.

We need to interconnect two LANs which use QNX native networking
over an 802.11 bridge. Will this work? What's some suggested
hardware? Most of the 802.11 boxes available have IP routers
built in, and may not be able to deal with QNX networking.

The application is to connect our robot vehicle (5 QNX
nodes on 100baseT) to a base station (the network in
our shop, or a laptop during testing).

Suggestions?

John Nagle
Team Overbot

Hugh Brown

Re: QNX native networking over 802.11?

Post by Hugh Brown » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:20 pm

Qnet is fully routable if you use bind=ip on the command line. Otherwise, it
depends on your 802.11b hardware, whether it routes native ethernet packets
or not.

"John Nagle" <nagle@downside.com> wrote in message
QNX 6.

We need to interconnect two LANs which use QNX native networking
over an 802.11 bridge. Will this work? What's some suggested
hardware? Most of the 802.11 boxes available have IP routers
built in, and may not be able to deal with QNX networking.

The application is to connect our robot vehicle (5 QNX
nodes on 100baseT) to a base station (the network in
our shop, or a laptop during testing).

Suggestions?

John Nagle
Team Overbot

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.installation”