Asynchronous I/O operations aren't currently supported in RT

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.os
Post Reply
mkjaaske

Asynchronous I/O operations aren't currently supported in RT

Post by mkjaaske » Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:53 am

Hi all,

Why in Neutrino Async I/O are not supported !?
I checked the docs and if I am planning to write an application using
async I/O operations I can't in RTP?

Regards,
Stefan

PS: I am using a different account right now.
Please reply as well to sparvu@cc.hut.fi

Mario Charest

Re: Asynchronous I/O operations aren't currently supported i

Post by Mario Charest » Fri Sep 29, 2000 3:56 pm

"mkjaaske" <mkjaaske@cs.Helsinki.FI> wrote in message
Hi all,

Why in Neutrino Async I/O are not supported !?
Because in the life, thing take time to be accomplish and
not enough time/resources was available to support this.
I checked the docs and if I am planning to write an application using
async I/O operations I can't in RTP?
Yes and no, the async API is not supported but with
proper design can create async operation.
Regards,
Stefan

PS: I am using a different account right now.
Please reply as well to sparvu@cc.hut.fi

Kim Liu

Re: Asynchronous I/O operations aren't currently supported i

Post by Kim Liu » Fri Sep 29, 2000 5:55 pm

I'm very interested in POSIX async I/O as well. I'd like somebody to comment
on this. I'm mostly interested in the overall idea of async I/O, not the
exact POSIX syntax and semantics. What I need is a way for the client to
issue an aio_write() (or an ioctl() to fake it) that will return immediately
(after it's queued in the resource manager). Then later the client calls
some sort of an aio_suspend() function to wait for the actual completion of
this aio_write(). How would I implement this in the resource manager?
Presumably I'll have to fake both aio_write() and aio_suspend() with ioctl()
calls.

-Kim

Post by Mario Charest » Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:04 pm

"Kim Liu" <kliu@terayon.com> wrote in message
I'm very interested in POSIX async I/O as well. I'd like somebody to
comment
on this. I'm mostly interested in the overall idea of async I/O, not the
exact POSIX syntax and semantics. What I need is a way for the client to
issue an aio_write() (or an ioctl() to fake it) that will return
immediately
(after it's queued in the resource manager). Then later the client calls
some sort of an aio_suspend() function to wait for the actual completion
of
this aio_write(). How would I implement this in the resource manager?
Presumably I'll have to fake both aio_write() and aio_suspend() with
ioctl()
calls.
My first though would be to implement this in a thread inside the
application.

I'm not sure the resmgr frame work is ready for async operation nor
do I beleive ioctl can fully replace a write.

-Kim

Stefan Parvu

Re: Asynchronous I/O operations aren't currently supported i

Post by Stefan Parvu » Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:40 pm

Well I don't agree with you here. Maybe they must let out parts of the
GUI stuff and to offer complete set of libraries functions ... Don't you
think so ?

Or do you prefer to have buttons and click around a lot ;)
At least you can let out GUI applications which are not needed so much.
From one point of view right now it is really bad you can't install
something without GUI! This is really bad designed. From modular point,
how RTP is, maybe I don't like to install Photon at all. And next? How
do you install something?

Asyn I/O support should be supported ASAP. Old applications can't be
ported to NTO at all.
Can you be a bit more exact:
Yes and no, the async API is not supported but with
proper design can create async operation.
So if the functions are not supported how can we write ? Other functions
!?

Mario Charest wrote:
"mkjaaske" <mkjaaske@cs.Helsinki.FI> wrote in message
Hi all,

Why in Neutrino Async I/O are not supported !?

Because in the life, thing take time to be accomplish and
not enough time/resources was available to support this.

I checked the docs and if I am planning to write an application using
async I/O operations I can't in RTP?

Yes and no, the async API is not supported but with
proper design can create async operation.

Regards,
Stefan

PS: I am using a different account right now.
Please reply as well to sparvu@cc.hut.fi

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.os”