'pci' program

Art Hays

'pci' program

Post by Art Hays » Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:52 am

The 'pci' program in RTP doesnt give as much info as 'show_pci' in QNX. Is
there another program under RTP I could use? Is the source to 'show_pci'
available?

--
Art Hays
National Institutes of Health

Adam Mallory

Re: 'pci' program

Post by Adam Mallory » Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:23 pm

"Art Hays" <avhays@nih.gov> wrote in news:a6n3gv$rbo$1@inn.qnx.com:
The 'pci' program in RTP doesnt give as much info as 'show_pci' in QNX.
Is there another program under RTP I could use? Is the source to
'show_pci' available?
Try pci -vvvv , that should give you more information :)

Adam

QNX Software Systems Ltd.
[ amallory@qnx.com ]
With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster <pschon@baste.magibox.net>

Art Hays

Re: 'pci' program

Post by Art Hays » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:47 pm

"Adam Mallory" <amallory@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Art Hays" <avhays@nih.gov> wrote in news:a6n3gv$rbo$1@inn.qnx.com:

The 'pci' program in RTP doesnt give as much info as 'show_pci' in QNX.
Is there another program under RTP I could use? Is the source to
'show_pci' available?

Try pci -vvvv , that should give you more information :)

Yes, this helps. However it still doesn't print the slot descriptions and routing info
at the end like 'show_pci' does.

Adam

QNX Software Systems Ltd.
[ amallory@qnx.com ]
With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster <pschon@baste.magibox.net

Hugh Brown

Re: 'pci' program

Post by Hugh Brown » Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:14 pm

Previously, Art Hays wrote in qdn.public.qnxrtp.applications:
"Adam Mallory" <amallory@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Art Hays" <avhays@nih.gov> wrote in news:a6n3gv$rbo$1@inn.qnx.com:

The 'pci' program in RTP doesnt give as much info as 'show_pci' in QNX.
Is there another program under RTP I could use? Is the source to
'show_pci' available?

Try pci -vvvv , that should give you more information :)

Yes, this helps. However it still doesn't print the slot descriptions and routing info
at the end like 'show_pci' does.
It doesn't do this, as the pci utility runs on multiple platforms under
QNX6 and most of these platforms don't have the information. Only X86
bios machines have this information.

Post by Art Hays » Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:58 am

"Hugh Brown" <hsbrown@qnx.com> wrote in message
Previously, Art Hays wrote in qdn.public.qnxrtp.applications:

"Adam Mallory" <amallory@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Art Hays" <avhays@nih.gov> wrote in news:a6n3gv$rbo$1@inn.qnx.com:

The 'pci' program in RTP doesnt give as much info as 'show_pci' in QNX.
Is there another program under RTP I could use? Is the source to
'show_pci' available?

Try pci -vvvv , that should give you more information :)

Yes, this helps. However it still doesn't print the slot descriptions and routing
info
at the end like 'show_pci' does.

It doesn't do this, as the pci utility runs on multiple platforms under
QNX6 and most of these platforms don't have the information. Only X86
bios machines have this information.
Could the utility determine it's platform and then include useful platform-specific info?
(Also I would love to have the
equivalent of the old 'sin irq', which is probably also platform specific I guess).
This info is helpful to optimize interrupt selection and slot selection in the shared and
chained, level sensitive
world of the PCI bus on PC's.

Bill Caroselli

Re: 'pci' program

Post by Bill Caroselli » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:47 pm

"Hugh Brown" <hsbrown@qnx.com> wrote in message
Previously, Art Hays wrote in qdn.public.qnxrtp.applications:

"Adam Mallory" <amallory@qnx.com> wrote in message
Yes, this helps. However it still doesn't print the slot descriptions
and routing info
at the end like 'show_pci' does.

It doesn't do this, as the pci utility runs on multiple platforms under
QNX6 and most of these platforms don't have the information. Only X86
bios machines have this information.
Damn!

If only there was something like an 'if()' statement that could print
additional information only IF it were available.

In a diagnostic utility I would always choose to err on the side of
verbosity.

--
Bill Caroselli -- 1(626) 824-7983
Q-TPS Consulting

Adam Mallory

Re: 'pci' program

Post by Adam Mallory » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:51 pm

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in
It doesn't do this, as the pci utility runs on multiple platforms under
QNX6 and most of these platforms don't have the information. Only X86
bios machines have this information.

Damn!

If only there was something like an 'if()' statement that could print
additional information only IF it were available.
Sure in theory everything is simple.

switch (type)
{
case PPC: ...
case x86: ...
}

except it's not that simple. There are so many variants of boards/hardware
it would be more like:

switch (type)
{
case PPCMTX600:
case PPC405:
case PPCMCP750:
case PPC<a zillon other variants>

case i386:
case i486: new features
case i586: new features (free running counter)
}

Well you see where I'm going... if()'s for each platform is nice in concept
but ugly and hard to test (since there are sooo many code paths)
effectively.

Another issue is that we can't anticipate what a custom board is going to
have, and poking at things willly nilly causes some boards/hardware to
respond in a manner that is hard to debug (ie. freeze, because the bus has
entered an illegal state due to undocumented hardware "feature").
In a diagnostic utility I would always choose to err on the side of
verbosity.
There is only one thing worse than lack of information, and that is wrong
information. Just my $0.02.