Emulator Programming feasibilty

Bob

Emulator Programming feasibilty

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:32 am

Whats the feasibility of writing a Nes emulator for QNX? is it easy to write
inline assembly? and get access to the graphics/sound devices?

Its going to be my third year Computer science degree (possibly) so any
advice would be great. I guess using Assembly would prevent it being easily
ported to other cpu's other than x86.

Maybe a Java one would run in QNX?

thanks
Andy

Chris McKillop

Re: Emulator Programming feasibilty

Post by Chris McKillop » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:25 am

Should be very possible. In fact, I belive there is a port of the open-source
SNES emulator on the "Public CD" that was released with 6.2. A java one
would be interesting but then you are doing a VM inside of a VM and you
cannot expect to have the greatest speed. ;)

chris

Bob <bob@bob.com> wrote:
Whats the feasibility of writing a Nes emulator for QNX? is it easy to write
inline assembly? and get access to the graphics/sound devices?

Its going to be my third year Computer science degree (possibly) so any
advice would be great. I guess using Assembly would prevent it being easily
ported to other cpu's other than x86.

Maybe a Java one would run in QNX?

thanks
Andy

Travis Coady

Re: Emulator Programming feasibilty

Post by Travis Coady » Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:41 am

Hi,

The NES is nothing overly difficult to emulate, iirc their was once upon
a time a NES emulator writen in VB. Once upon a hampster when MESS was
activly developed I ported it to QNX - it supported NES emulation.

As for language I'd recomend using C if you wanted portibility, assembly
isn't portable and the speed difference would'nt be that notticable. As for
Java, the Java emulators I've seen have always been amazingly unimpressive
so I'm quite bias against them.

Travis "TheAlien" Coady
smallfri@bigfoot.com