NSSwitch

Rommel Dongre

NSSwitch

Post by Rommel Dongre » Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:27 pm

Hi:
QnX dosent have the traditional NSSwitch. But I'm guessing that that
functionality is available somewhere else (libc?) in another form.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: NSSwitch

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:33 am

Add "lookup file bind" (whichever way you like it) to /etc/resolv.conf. It
will make resolver to lookup names in /etc/hosts first and then fallback to
DNS.

-- igor

"Rommel Dongre" <rdongre@pillardata.com> wrote in message
Hi:
QnX dosent have the traditional NSSwitch. But I'm guessing that that
functionality is available somewhere else (libc?) in another form.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Rommel Dongre

Re: NSSwitch

Post by Rommel Dongre » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:13 pm

NSSwitch provides the interface to NIS, NIS+, winbindd or the traditioanl
/etc/passwd file for naming of users, groups and hosts. What you have
suggested might work only for hosts, right?

My question is: How do I use winbindd (for example) on QnX, if it doesnt
have NSSwitch?

On my Linux box, I could specify a search order (eg. file NIS+ winbind) in
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and have lookups done by NSSwitch. On QnX, what can I do
to achieve that?

Again, help would be greatly appreciated.

"Igor Kovalenko" <kovalenko@attbi.com> wrote in message
Add "lookup file bind" (whichever way you like it) to /etc/resolv.conf.
It
will make resolver to lookup names in /etc/hosts first and then fallback
DNS.

-- igor

"Rommel Dongre" <rdongre@pillardata.com> wrote in message
Hi:
QnX dosent have the traditional NSSwitch. But I'm guessing that that
functionality is available somewhere else (libc?) in another form.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: NSSwitch

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:15 am

You don't expect resolver to allow using NIS if OS does not support NIS, do
you? Winbind is not supported either. I don't think anyone cares about
Winbind at all, as for NIS - it is sorely missed in NFS environments indeed,
but that said NIS is obsolete and messy to implement. Even Sun is abandoning
it in favor of LDAP.

Of course, QNX would not support LDAP for authentication either. They need
to put some flexible mechanism in place first, like PAM (which was talked
about but never done).