New 3rd Party CD

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Chris McKillop » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:48 pm

For the NC guys:
- cscope-15.x
- cbrowser-0.x (needs Tcl/Tk )
This is "off topic", but Eclipse+CDT is free as well. ;)

liug

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by liug » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:38 pm

Chris McKillop <cdm@qnx.com> wrote:
For the NC guys:
- cscope-15.x
- cbrowser-0.x (needs Tcl/Tk )

This is "off topic", but Eclipse+CDT is free as well. ;)
You brought up a good topic.
What about add "Eclipse+CDT" on the CD so that those NC users can
have it.

Guest

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:05 am

Dave Rempel <drempel@qnx.com> wrote:
Ok, I've added it to the list. Did it compile pretty much out of the
box or did you have to do anything special to it?
No, I had to add a special routine, that scans the /proc-tree.
But that was pretty much straight forward (every supported OS
has it's own process specialities in this utility).

Shall I post it to somebody (as I said: actually without autoconf
stuff, so it might run only on the x86 platform) ?

--
__ __ ____ ____
| \/ | __ ) ___| Karsten.Hoffmann@mbs-software.de MBS-GmbH
| |\/| | _ \___ \ Phone : +49-2151-7294-38 Karsten Hoffmann
|_| |_|____/____/ Mobile: +49-172-3812373 D-47809 Krefeld

Rennie Allen

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Rennie Allen » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:12 am

liug wrote:
You brought up a good topic.
What about add "Eclipse+CDT" on the CD so that those NC users can
have it.
Well, NC users *can* have it. I have it and I am an NC user ;-)

But I agree, it would be very nice to have it on the 3rd party CD with a
qpr...

Rennie

liug

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by liug » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:36 pm

Dave Rempel <drempel@qnx.com> wrote:
I would like to add MySQL to that list:
MySQL NP x
Ok, added. Just don't forget to tell me or cdm where it is :)
I compiled mysql for qnxzone last week, not much changes in the code,
pretty much a straight compile. you can find it here
http://www.qnxzone.com/~fliu

Jens H Jorgensen

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:08 pm

Hi Dave

I would like to volunteer my effort on the Qt 3.x port and packaging.

--
Jens

"Dave Rempel" <drempel@qnx.com> wrote in message
Armin Steinhoff wrote:

Dave Rempel wrote:

Ok folks, as many of you likely already know we are putting together a
new 3rd party CD to be released simultaneously with the next major
release of QNX (the current plan is end of Jan for this release...but
you know how schedules are, it could be later ;). What we are planning
on putting on this CD is updates to packages that were on the last CD
(either because of a bug in our port or a new version of the software
has been released), as well as some new content.

I've already done a scan of the various projects out there as well and
looked to see what needs to be updated and created a list of what we
would like to do. I've attached this list to this posting.

What I'm looking for is a few things:
1) Eyes to go over this list and make any corrections (as well as fill
me in on what needs to be done on the things that don't have anything
beside them...ie: is there a New cogent package to go out?)
2) New content that exists out there already for QNX that I have missed

For the NC guys:
- cscope-15.x
- cbrowser-0.x (needs Tcl/Tk )

For the integration of QNX4 and QNX6(LINUX, MS-Windows):
- PVM-3.4 and PIOUS

For the cluster guys:
- PVM, LAM MPI
- a port of harness to the J9 VM :)

For the LINUX guys:
- Qt 3.x

For the scripting guys:
- an installable version of Python 2.2.2
- Fnorb-1.2 (CORBA)
- Pyro-3.x (plattform independent middleware, python objects)
- gadfly (SQL DB)
- Pyrex (for convenient development of C extensions)
- Psyco (specialization compiler)
- PyQt-3.1

In general:
- SQLite 2.x
- Empress?
- other free CORBA ORBs

Hope this is not too much :)

Armin

It's not too much if you provide the qpr's ;)

I don't anyone currently on the 3rd party cd has enough experience with
most of these to tell if they actually work right or not (hence the
python issue with the last one). Since you seem to know alot about
these then it would be great if you could supply the qpr's and source.
Otherwise we'll just do our best. I've added them to the list though.

Dave

Chris McKillop

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Chris McKillop » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:00 pm

liug <liug@mama.indstate.edu> wrote:
Chris McKillop <cdm@qnx.com> wrote:

For the NC guys:
- cscope-15.x
- cbrowser-0.x (needs Tcl/Tk )

This is "off topic", but Eclipse+CDT is free as well. ;)

You brought up a good topic.
What about add "Eclipse+CDT" on the CD so that those NC users can
have it.
Sounds fair if it isn't already part of the NC installed on 6.2.1.

Jerry Chappell

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Jerry Chappell » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:11 pm

Note to anyone creating packages using packager (as if there is any other
way to do it)...

When packager creates my packages, the first thing I check is the list
of packages that are created. Quite often, packager creates more packages
than are required for a simple product. For instance, if I have .h or .a
files, packager will create separate Development packages to house these
files which are obviously for development purposes only. This is a great
feature, don't you think? Yes-however, if the product that I'm packaging is
inherently a development utility, separating the files into development and
non-development packages adds extra complexity which is not needed.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want the user to be
able to install just the executable portion, or to install just the
development portion, without the other packages. If the answer is yes, then
packager has done all the work for you and life is good. However, if there's
no need for users to have this granularity, you should tell packager to not
create separate development packages at all; the files will be merged into
the other packages automatically. To achieve this, you can do one of two
things:

(1) Run packager with the -D option on the command-line.
(2) Edit your QPG file so that development packages are never created.
Do this by adding dev="no" to the FileSorting line in your <QPG:Options>
block, like this:

<QPG:Generation>
<QPG:Options>
<QPG:FileSorting dev="no"/>
</QPG:Options>
</QPG:Generation>

The generated packages will no longer have the dev- portion of their name.

Many thanks.
Jerry Chappell

[...]

3) Suggestions for new content that may not already exist but will
likely prove to be an easy port.
4) New projects that are currently being developed that will likely be
ready in time for this cd's release (and the author wishes it to appear
here).
5) Volunteers to help with the porting/packaging effort.
6) Any other suggestions as to what could make this cd better.

For those of you that don't know already, the 3rd party CD is an
unsupported cd that QSSL distributes, and is a volunteer based project.
Not everything on this list may make it to the CD. It will depend
entirely on the number of people working on it and the amount of time we
have. Right now I'm looking at the middle of January (17th?) as the
cut-off date for new content to be submitted. We'll be testing the
various packages before then, but I think we'll need at least a couple
of weeks to test the final distribution, fix any bugs that we can, and
pull stuff that doesn't work and we aren't going to be able to fix.

Please respond here in this news group.

Thanks for you time.

Dave Rempel
----

U = Needs Update (new stable/release version has been released)
C = In unsupported CVS tree
P = In a Package
x = Version on the previous 3rd party cd is to be used
B = Needs bug fix update (bugs specific to the QNX port/package only)
D = Done (it's in the 3rd party cd repository and there are no known
issues)

Source:
x = Source code is available, it is legal to put it on the cd, and we
intend to do so.
D = Source tarball is on the unsupported cd's filesystem

-- blank on status means unknown

Title Status Source

AbuseDemo CPx
CascConnect
CascDataHub
CascHist
CascTextLog
CogentAPI
GNUEmacs
Gamma
GammaGTK
JFSolitaire CPx
KiPhoton
PGLib U
PhAlarm
PhCam
Phumb
a2ps CPx x
alienwave UC x
allegro audio driver x
alsa_utils CPx x
apache1 x
autoconf U x
automake U x
bash U x
bitchx U x
blackbox U x
centericq U x
cpio U x
ctags UC x
curl U x
db U x
ddd U x
dia U x
doxygen U x
elib x
fetchmail U x
fvwm U x
gaim U x
gcal B x
gdbm U x
gdk U x
gettext U x
gimp B x
glib U x
gnuchess CPx x
gnudiff U x
gnugo CPx x
gnutextutils U x
groff U x
gtk U x
indent CPx x
ipaq_columns CPx
ipfbin U x
ircii U x
jed U x
jikes U x
lesstif U x
libIDL CPx x
libart U x
libaudiofile Px x
libiconv U x
libmikmod U x
libpng U x
libsigc++ U x
libtiff U x
libtool U x
libxml2 U x
links U x
lopan CPx x
lynx CPx x
m4 CPx x
maestro audio driver x
mailplugin U
man U
mkdepend CPx x
mpg123 -- licensing issues with new patent treatment?
mqc
mutt U x
nail U x
nano CPx x
ncftp U x
ncurses U x
openldap U x
openssh U x
openssl U x
patch CPx x
pcl
perl UC x
phPostal
phSambaChat
phViewer
Abiword (Photon version) U x
ph_ipaqxmp
phaster
phdiff
phftp
phhotkey
phirc
phmame x
phmine_02
photon3d CPx
pine U x
pkgconfig x
pkiphoton
pocket_phumb
postgresql U x
psgml
pureftpd U x
python U x
readline U x
rogue CPx x
rsync CPx x
ruby CPx x
samba U x
screen CPx x
seatris CPx x
sendmail U x
snes9x CPx x
soundtracker Px x
spin
stow
t1lib U x
tcpdump U x
tin U x
tspc
uuencdec CPx x
vim U x
wget U x
workspace U
xchat U x
xfree86 x
xpdf U x
zebra U x
zsh U x
libungif N x
freeciv N x
libSDL N x
libSDL-mixer N x
libSDL-image N x
lbreakout N x
maelstrom SDL N x
liballegro N x
tetris queen (Allegro) N x
bluefish N x
euler N x
distributed net client N x
PhNetLoad N
FreePascal N x
PhAmp N
figlet NC x
figlet contributed fonts NC NA
Bochs N x
mkisofs N x
elm N x
uae (SDL) N x
c-scope N x
nedit N x
aview N
phchess N x

Armin Steinhoff

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:17 am

Chris McKillop wrote:

For the NC guys:
- cscope-15.x
- cbrowser-0.x (needs Tcl/Tk )

This is "off topic", but Eclipse+CDT is free as well. ;)
I agree with the cbrowser ... but cscope provides a functionality which
isn't included in the Eclipse IDE yet. Especially as long as the
internal editor is so instable ...

Armin

Armin Steinhoff

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:20 am

Dave Rempel wrote:
Armin Steinhoff wrote:

Dave Rempel wrote:

[...]

OK ... I will spent some time in order to provide at least the Python
and PVM stuff :)
What's the latest date of delivery ??

Armin

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:31 am

Jerry Chappell wrote:
Note to anyone creating packages using packager (as if there is any other
way to do it)...
Is there a way to implement into the package manager a function which
makes is possible to show the contents of a QPR archive and it's target
installation directory??

Armin

[...]

Post by Jerry Chappell » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:35 pm

Yes, that's been a long-standing request, but unfortunately no cycles have
been assigned to it yet. Please be patient!

Jerry

Dave Rempel

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Dave Rempel » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:41 pm

Ok, either send it to me via email or post the url to it. As long as we
have the source code to it with your changes included it should be fine.
Normally we only ship the x86 binaries on this cd anyways, interested
parties can recompile the source code for other targets if they need it.

We can put a "README.QNX" in the source archive explaining not to use
"configure" to set up for a build.

Dave

Karsten.Hoffmann@mbs-software.de wrote:
Dave Rempel <drempel@qnx.com> wrote:

Ok, I've added it to the list. Did it compile pretty much out of the
box or did you have to do anything special to it?

No, I had to add a special routine, that scans the /proc-tree.
But that was pretty much straight forward (every supported OS
has it's own process specialities in this utility).

Shall I post it to somebody (as I said: actually without autoconf
stuff, so it might run only on the x86 platform) ?

Dave Rempel

Re: New 3rd Party CD

Post by Dave Rempel » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:46 pm

Thanks Armin! :)

Latest date for delivery is Jan 17th, that's the date where we start
finalizing the cd contents (we start pulling things that don't work) but
before Xmas is preferable (it'll make our job on this end easier, and if
you make a mistake it gives you time to correct it :)

Dave

Armin Steinhoff wrote:
Dave Rempel wrote:

Armin Steinhoff wrote:

[...]