qnxinstall: suggestion

Alain Bonnefoy

qnxinstall: suggestion

Post by Alain Bonnefoy » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:41 am

Hi jerry,
As the next qnxinstall will display the files list for each package :-P
, it would be interesting to be able to look for a file to know which
package it belongs to.

cheers,
Alain.

Chris McKillop

Re: qnxinstall: suggestion

Post by Chris McKillop » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:28 pm

Alain Bonnefoy <alain.bonnefoy@icbt.com> wrote:
Hi jerry,
As the next qnxinstall will display the files list for each package :-P
, it would be interesting to be able to look for a file to know which
package it belongs to.
pkgctl /path/to/filename

ie:

--cdm@bigbox--> /usr/sbin/pkgctl /bin/ls
--- Information from /dev/pkginfo8 ---
Localpath: [/bin/ls]
Fullpath: [/pkgs/base/qnx/os/core-2.1.3/x86/bin/ls]
Repository: [/pkgs/base]
Vendor: [qnx/os/core-2.1.3]
Tree: [x86/bin/ls]

Is that what you mean?

Xiaodan Tang

Re: qnxinstall: suggestion

Post by Xiaodan Tang » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:12 pm

Not sure if this is what orignal post would want, but I have this satuation:

I installed something, run it, and it pop up: "can not load libxyz.so".
OK, so I need a libxyz.so to be installed on my machine. The question
is, "which package" should I install ?

Even though I might be find a machine that has libxyz.so on it, and pkgctl
it to know it is from /package/base/3rd_party/libs_3_20/, I still have no
idea which package to pick when I open and repository by qnxinstall...

yeah, I know, I can ask cdm, but what if he's on vacation? ;)

-xtang

Post by Chris McKillop » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:58 pm

Xiaodan Tang <xtang@qnx.com> wrote:
Not sure if this is what orignal post would want, but I have this satuation:

I installed something, run it, and it pop up: "can not load libxyz.so".
OK, so I need a libxyz.so to be installed on my machine. The question
is, "which package" should I install ?

Even though I might be find a machine that has libxyz.so on it, and pkgctl
it to know it is from /package/base/3rd_party/libs_3_20/, I still have no
idea which package to pick when I open and repository by qnxinstall...

yeah, I know, I can ask cdm, but what if he's on vacation? ;)
Well, if you installed the program from a pacakge it should search the
repositories you have looking for the matching library in the Provides section
of the other packages manfiests.

Although I agree, it would be cool to have qnxinstall let you search based
on provided binaries/libs.

Alain Bonnefoy

Re: qnxinstall: suggestion

Post by Alain Bonnefoy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:13 am

well, but I find rpm features very cool compare to qnxinstall. You have
these infos in qpm files, just display it in an onglet.

if I type pkgctl libz.so I get nothing!!!!! I have to know where
libz.so is (this is maybe what I want to know!) so, I have to 'find' it
first.
If libz.so is not installed and doesn't appear in the title of the
package I spend my morning to find it.

So, ok if I install a package which needs a specific component, I can
rely on dependencies but if I want to write a program, build something
from a tarball, etc... that's not so obvious right?

cheers,
Alain.