qnet questions

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:12 pm

I am defineing my hostname in my boot image with -Ntest1 to
startup-bios. I.E.
startup-bios -Ntest1
Can I define the domain name at this point too?

I have found that io-net seems to come up faster if I specify the
protocols _before_ the device. I.E.
ionet -ptcpip -pqnet -dspeedo
Is there any harm in doing this? The docs say that the device
should come first.

If I type:
ls /net
I can only see myself for a long time.
How can I hasten the discovery of other RTP hosts on the network?
I did notice that if I type:
ls/net/<some_other_node>
it immediately finds it.

Kevin Stallard

Re: qnet questions

Post by Kevin Stallard » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:01 pm

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
If I type:
ls /net
I can only see myself for a long time.
How can I hasten the discovery of other RTP hosts on the network?
I did notice that if I type:
ls/net/<some_other_node
it immediately finds it.
Yeah...there was a good discussion on this sometime ago. It would be nice
if there was some
kind of interrogation, but if I remember correctly this would also cause a
lot of network traffic and could cause undesirable performance in some
cases....but it still would be a nice feature, especially if qnet did no
interrogation until it was explicitly asked to do so.

Kevin

Bill Caroselli

Re: qnet questions

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:04 pm

Kevin Stallard <kevin@fffflyingrobbbotsss.com> wrote:

KS > "Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
KS > news:bh107t$sct$1@inn.qnx.com...
If I type:
ls /net
I can only see myself for a long time.
How can I hasten the discovery of other RTP hosts on the network?
I did notice that if I type:
ls/net/<some_other_node
it immediately finds it.
KS > Yeah...there was a good discussion on this sometime ago. It would be nice
KS > if there was some
KS > kind of interrogation, but if I remember correctly this would also cause a
KS > lot of network traffic and could cause undesirable performance in some
KS > cases....but it still would be a nice feature, especially if qnet did no
KS > interrogation until it was explicitly asked to do so.

OK. What about the "mount=" option to npm-qnet?

If I believe that there *should* be a test2, test3 and test4 host out
there, can I attempt to pre-mount them so that *if* they do exist when
io-net gets loaded then they will be visible in /net?

Guest

Re: qnet questions

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:44 pm

startup-bios -Ntest1
Can I define the domain name at this point too?
"domain name" is a DNS (or NIS or Microsoft Network or whatever)
dependent thingie which isn't issue before io-net.

Well you could cram in the full FQDN like *BSD does
but I won't expect anything won't break.

...Oh, the "setconf" has a CS_DOMAIN value independent from
the hostname, so you could
setconf CS_DOMAIN example.com
in the buildfile (unconfirmed)

Or providing the default /etc/net.cfg may work:
version v1.2
[global]
domain example.com

--
kabe

Chris McKillop

Re: qnet questions

Post by Chris McKillop » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:26 pm

..Oh, the "setconf" has a CS_DOMAIN value independent from
the hostname, so you could
setconf CS_DOMAIN example.com
in the buildfile (unconfirmed)
Yes, you can do this. I do it all the time...

setconf CS_HOSTNAME foo
setconf CS_DOMAIN myhouse.foo