Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Art Hays

Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by Art Hays » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:04 pm

Would someone puleeze tell me why 'jed' takes 5 minutes
to come up when you are not connected to the Internet?

--
Art Hays
National Institutes of Health

David Gibbs

Re: Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by David Gibbs » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:54 pm

Art Hays <avhays@nih.gov> wrote:
Would someone puleeze tell me why 'jed' takes 5 minutes
to come up when you are not connected to the Internet?
Sounds like it is doing a name lookup on something and
timing out. What state is it in while doing this (pidin)?

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Xiaodan Tang

Re: Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by Xiaodan Tang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:35 am

It is resolving your hostname.

You can wipe out your DNS setting, or keep an entry for yourself in
/etc/hosts, and
set "lookup file bind".

-xtang

Art Hays <avhays@nih.gov> wrote in message news:bka6tt$409$1@inn.qnx.com...
Would someone puleeze tell me why 'jed' takes 5 minutes
to come up when you are not connected to the Internet?

--
Art Hays
National Institutes of Health
art@nei.nih.gov or art@lsr.nei.nih.gov

Bill Caroselli

Re: Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:00 pm

Xiaodan Tang <xtang@qnx.com> wrote:
XT > It is resolving your hostname.

XT > You can wipe out your DNS setting, or keep an entry for yourself in
XT > /etc/hosts, and
XT > set "lookup file bind".

Why should an editor care about your hostname?

Dave Rempel

Post by Dave Rempel » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:35 pm

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Xiaodan Tang <xtang@qnx.com> wrote:
XT > It is resolving your hostname.

XT > You can wipe out your DNS setting, or keep an entry for yourself in
XT > /etc/hosts, and
XT > set "lookup file bind".

Why should an editor care about your hostname?
Who knows? Why not ask the author? ;)

http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/

Dave Rempel

Chris McKillop

Post by Chris McKillop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:07 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
Xiaodan Tang <xtang@qnx.com> wrote:
XT > It is resolving your hostname.

XT > You can wipe out your DNS setting, or keep an entry for yourself in
XT > /etc/hosts, and
XT > set "lookup file bind".

Why should an editor care about your hostname?
Does it have any X11 libs linked into it? It could be trying to detect
your display settings or something. I have never used it so that is just
a shot in the dark.

Bob Bowler

Re: Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by Bob Bowler » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:36 am

.... so what editor does cdm use ??????
"Chris McKillop" <cdm@qnx.com> wrote in message
Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
Xiaodan Tang <xtang@qnx.com> wrote:
XT > It is resolving your hostname.

XT > You can wipe out your DNS setting, or keep an entry for yourself in
XT > /etc/hosts, and
XT > set "lookup file bind".

Why should an editor care about your hostname?

Does it have any X11 libs linked into it? It could be trying to detect
your display settings or something. I have never used it so that is just
a shot in the dark.

Re: Wierd 'jed' behavior and net connectivity

Post by Chris McKillop » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 am

Bob Bowler <Bob@rkbe.net> wrote:
... so what editor does cdm use ??????
vim and Eclipse (for C and Java).