Saving data

AGB

Saving data

Post by AGB » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:36 pm

Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

Jens H Jorgensen

Re: Saving data

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:47 pm

You can try to adjust some of the cache and commit parameters for devb-eide.
For details go to:

http://www.qnx.com/developer/docs/momen ... -eide.html

and

http://www.qnx.com/developer/docs/momen ... lk.so.html

Parameters tgat you want to look at are:

cache=2m,noatime,delwri=0,commit=high

--
Jens

"AGB" <agb32@nospam.remove.this.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:38 pm

Thanks - where can I set these parameters? ie where is devb-eide started?

Presumably, I cant stop and restart it (if I turn off the filesystem, if
can't load itself), so will have to reboot each time?

Thanks.

Jens H Jorgensen wrote:
[...]

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:02 pm

You would have to build a custom kernel image. Look in /boot/build for
sample build scripts.

mkifs is used to compile these build scripts into kernel image files (such
as .boot and .altboot)

Replace .altboot with the new kernel boot image and it ESC when boot process
allows to boot alternative image.
--

Jens H Jorgensen wrote:
[...]

Mario Charest

Re: Saving data

Post by Mario Charest » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:05 am

"AGB" <agb32@nospam.remove.this.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems.
100MB/s who told you that!!! That's way off. That would mean that with a 4
RAID system it would be the same speed as PC100 ram.
However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

ed1k

Re: Saving data

Post by ed1k » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:31 am

In article <3F844B8B.1000609@nospam.remove.this.cam.ac.uk>, agb32@nospam.remove.this.cam.ac.uk
says...
Thanks - where can I set these parameters? ie where is devb-eide started?

Presumably, I cant stop and restart it
Actually you can. You can take a look at shell scripts Eide.rst and eide.rst.kabe at:
ftp://ftp.qnx.org.ru/pub/projects/ed1k/
Eide.rst - you should change mount lines according to your configuration;
eide.rst.kabe - this script uses proposed by kabe awk-script to remount filesystems as it was before
killing devb-eide.
In both cases you should revise parameters of devb-eide driver. These scripts could be only useful
if you have NC version and willing to play with devb-eide's options. If you have commercial version
of QNX the right way is to rebuild image (don't use diskboot because it doesn't pass options to
devb-eide driver anyway).

Eduard.

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:02 am

100MB/s who told you that!!! That's way off. That would mean that with a 4
RAID system it would be the same speed as PC100 ram.
100MB/s is maximum transfer rate - in practice it would probably be a
bit less. Check out the datasheet available at:
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/dis ... 79,00.html

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:21 am

I had thought of doing this, but my 6.2.1 system doesn't have a
/boot/build directory - the only things in /boot/ are sys/ and fs/.

I had assumed that this was because the need for this had been removed
for 6.2.1 or something. Is there anywhere I can obtain a sample build
script which would be correct for my current install? (default 6.2.1 NC
install).

Thanks.

100MB/s who told you that!!! That's way off. That would mean that with
a 4
RAID system it would be the same speed as PC100 ram.
100MB/s is maximum transfer rate - in practice it would probably be a
bit less.
A bit less ;-) In practice it would probably be a bit less then HALF that.
And that's for read speed....
Check out the datasheet available at:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/dis ... 79,00.html
Try it for real ;-)

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:00 pm

Hi Eduard,
Thanks for the scripts. I'm having a bit of a problem with them, and
wonder if you can help. My first problem was that libcam.so.2 wasn't
found. However I solved this by copying it into /dev/shmem/ and
changing my path/ld_library_path variable in the script to include this.
However, it seems that my system won't re mount things. When it gets
to the mount commands in the scripts, it says:
eg. mounting /dev/hd1t79
mount: cant mount / (type qnx4)
mount: possible reason: invalid arguement

When I look at /dev/hd1t79 after running the script, it doesn't exist.

Any ideas (QNX 6.2.1 NC)?

Thanks.

ed1k wrote:
[...]

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:33 pm

It is probably because you have the NC version.

I am not sure what you can do to solve this with the NC version - anybody?

--

AGB wrote:
Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:03 pm

Hmm, well I've now successfully managed to change some of the harddrive
parameters using the script from Eduard -- thanks -- but it hasn't
helped my application!

I have a high priority process which is a frame grabber, grabbing data
into shared memory - which another lower priority process then writes to
disk when it has time (it doesn't necessarily save the newest grabbed
data, ie a backlog can build up). However, I find that for some reason
the writing to disk slows down the higher priority process, and so
frames are missed - which is very bad news!!!

I had thought that qnx would allow a higher priority process to have
priority, but it seems that the hardware (ie hard disk) is stopping the
grabbing process from writing to memory for a bit or something... and so
causing the grabbing process to skip frames.

Comments?

Thanks.

AGB wrote:

Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

Colin Burgess

Re: Saving data

Post by Colin Burgess » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:16 pm

What priority are you running the frame grabber at? It should be
above 21 (since that is the priority of the disk drivers interrupt
thread)

AGB wrote:

Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

--
cburgess@qnx.com

Jens H Jorgensen

Re: Saving data

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:26 pm

Well - it is a little hard to say what is going on.

I think I would try to perform following experiements:

- Raise the priority of the capture thread/process beyond devb-eide (21)
- Run the save data process run but without writing to the disk to see if
any shared memory access locks are holding up the capture process.

--

AGB wrote:

Hi,
I have an application which requires me to write about 3MB/s to disk
continuously. I have a modern harddrive, and am told the max data rate
is over 100MB/s, so in theory I should have no problems. However, I
find that QNX seems to be writing data in clumps, ie very low cpu
activity for a few seconds, followed by high activity while writing is
done. This high activity then causes problems as it slows down some of
my processes. Is there any way to get QNX to write data regularly at
the (slow) 3MB/s rate as it is ready?

Thanks.

AGB

Re: Saving data

Post by AGB » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:34 pm

I don't think thats the problem - I see the same effect running at any
process up to 63. I'm therefore thinking that it's a hardware problem -
ie maybe the disk drive is holding the processor off or away from
memory while it saves a chunk...