pdf and excel file generators for QNX

Warren Deitch

pdf and excel file generators for QNX

Post by Warren Deitch » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:13 am

Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.

Similarly, I need to create an Excel spreadsheet automatically (a .csv
file is NOT suitable).

David Gibbs

Re: pdf and excel file generators for QNX

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:19 pm

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.
I'm not sure Adobe licenses anyone else to create pdf files.
Similarly, I need to create an Excel spreadsheet automatically (a .csv
file is NOT suitable).
Something like Open Office, if ported to QNX might do it, but there
isn't anything that does it now.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Bill Caroselli

Post by Bill Caroselli » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:51 pm

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
DG > Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.
DG > I'm not sure Adobe licenses anyone else to create pdf files.

Not that that has ever stopped anyone.

I was surprised to learn from Robert Krten's new book that the
copyright on GIF files has finally expired. But how many pieces of
software have you seen that generate GIF files?

Robert Krten

Post by Robert Krten » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:48 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
DG > Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.

DG > I'm not sure Adobe licenses anyone else to create pdf files.

Not that that has ever stopped anyone.

I was surprised to learn from Robert Krten's new book that the
copyright on GIF files has finally expired. But how many pieces of
software have you seen that generate GIF files?
"patent", not copyright, and that's only in the US. I think other places
in the world might still have the patent in force for a year or so more...
It just depends on when the patent was granted elsewhere, I guess...

A lot of pieces of software generated it "illegally", but some, like
Corel Draw, had legitimate licenses...

Cheers,
-RK

--
[If replying via email, you'll need to click on the URL that's emailed to you
afterwards to forward the email to me -- spam filters and all that]

Igor Kovalenko

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:43 am

"David Gibbs" <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote in message
Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.

I'm not sure Adobe licenses anyone else to create pdf files.
There are tools that convert Latex into PDF.

-- igor

Karsten P. Hoffmann

Post by Karsten P. Hoffmann » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:02 pm

Warren Deitch wrote:
Similarly, I need to create an Excel spreadsheet automatically (a
.csv file is NOT suitable).
There's a perl package available, which can create read '.xls'-files.

I don't remember the server actually, just google for "perl AND
excel". (It was something like '...perl.org', IIRC).

HTH,

Karsten.

--
__ __ ____ ____
| \/ | __ ) ___| Karsten.Hoffmann@mbs-software.de MBS-GmbH
| |\/| | _ \___ \ Phone : +49-2151-7294-38 Karsten Hoffmann
|_| |_|____/____/ Mobile: +49-172-3812373 D-47809 Krefeld

Colin Burgess

Post by Colin Burgess » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:49 pm

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Is there a QNX package to create a .pdf file. I need to create pdf
files from reports without user intervention.

Similarly, I need to create an Excel spreadsheet automatically (a .csv
file is NOT suitable).
Ghostscript has a ps2pdf convertor...

--
cburgess@qnx.com

Dave Rempel

Re: pdf and excel file generators for QNX

Post by Dave Rempel » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:50 pm

And the patent was on the LZW compression scheme that compressed gif's
use, not the gif format itself IIRC. From what I understand it is
possible to generate uncompressed gif's and not be in violation of that
patent. From what I've been told the Canadian patent expires a year
after the US one does.

Robert Krten wrote:
[...]

Post by Warren Deitch » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:55 pm

Thank all of you for the infomation -- I can now inform management there
IS an option -- even if it requires work !