writing block I/O device drivers

bridged with qdn.public.ddk.input
Post Reply
JalajaDevi

writing block I/O device drivers

Post by JalajaDevi » Wed May 23, 2001 8:04 pm

Hi all,
I need to write a block I/O device driver, can anyone out there give me
pointers as to wher and how to start

Mitchell Schoenbrun

Re: writing block I/O device drivers

Post by Mitchell Schoenbrun » Wed May 23, 2001 8:15 pm

Previously, JalajaDevi wrote in qdn.public.ddk.input:
I need to write a block I/O device driver, can anyone out there give me
pointers as to wher and how to start
You do mean a device driver for a disk like device?
QSSL has not released the interface specifications, and at
this time they are not giving an eta.

Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

JalajaDevi

Re: writing block I/O device drivers

Post by JalajaDevi » Wed May 23, 2001 9:04 pm

hi,
yeah, basically I have a block device, for which I want to write a file
system, basically I should be able to do all file operations on the device.
As a first step I have defined the device as a resource manager, and am able
to open/write etc, but now I want to be able to access it as a file system
and should be able to do operations like "ls, cd etc..."
I need to how to go about it ? hope I have made my question clear

Post by Mitchell Schoenbrun » Thu May 24, 2001 12:22 am

Previously, JalajaDevi wrote in qdn.public.ddk.input:
I need to how to go about it ? hope I have made my question clear
Your question is clear, but the answer is still the same.
They haven't released the API.

Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

Mario Charest

Previously, JalajaDevi wrote in qdn.public.ddk.input:
I need to how to go about it ? hope I have made my question clear

Your question is clear, but the answer is still the same.
They haven't released the API.
It appears what you want to do is kind of like cam-disk.so where you
would not have to deal with the filesystem structure. As Mitchell
mentioned you can't do that since QSSL hasn't release any info (as
it will probably be changed )

However nothing prevents you to deal with that yourself and
let you manager handles all the required request.

Depending on you hardware you may also be able to use
a flash driver (available with QNX4 cross development)

Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

JalajaDevi

Re: writing block I/O device drivers

Post by JalajaDevi » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:37 pm

hi,
I got a sample cam dsk driver, but it looks for a file called ram.mk
i.e. in usr/support/mkfiles/ram.mk, but i am unable to get it, can you
kindly let me know, how i can get hold of this file

thanks

Sabiha

Post by Mario Charest » Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:06 pm

"JalajaDevi" <jganapat@storage.com> wrote in message
hi,
I got a sample cam dsk driver, but it looks for a file called ram.mk
i.e. in usr/support/mkfiles/ram.mk, but i am unable to get it, can you
kindly let me know, how i can get hold of this file
I think you've already beaten us in obtaining a sample of cam driver ;-)

"Mitchell Schoenbrun" <maschoen@pobox.com> wrote in message
Previously, JalajaDevi wrote in qdn.public.ddk.input:
I need to how to go about it ? hope I have made my question clear

Your question is clear, but the answer is still the same.
They haven't released the API.

It appears what you want to do is kind of like cam-disk.so where you
would not have to deal with the filesystem structure. As Mitchell
mentioned you can't do that since QSSL hasn't release any info (as
it will probably be changed )

However nothing prevents you to deal with that yourself and
let you manager handles all the required request.

Depending on you hardware you may also be able to use
a flash driver (available with QNX4 cross development)

Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.ddk.input”