QNX + Xscale project

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.xscale
Post Reply
Michel Benoit

QNX + Xscale project

Post by Michel Benoit » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:07 am

Hello.

We have developed a first generation combination small audio system (radio +
CD player) and internet information (PDA type) device based on Windows CE.
We are not satisfied with the quality and performance of the Windows CE OS
in our product. We are therefore considering switching to a different OS for
the next generation of the product.

I have worked with QNX in the past (x86) and I was very happy with the
quality and robustness of both the OS and the development tools.

The current generation hardware is PXA210 based (modelled after Intel
Lubbock platform) with custom DSA interface to a CD drive, LAN91C96 from
SMSC, monochrome display, 8MB Intel Strata flash, 16MB RAM and a number of
i2c peripherals.

Next generation will be based on PXA255, with full colour display, ATAPI CD
drive, LAN91c111 and must support MP3 playback (from file and streaming).

The major problem we see with QNX is the availability of knowledgeable
developers (i.e. experts) for BSP porting and application development.

I can motivate the switch to QNX to our management if I can find expert
partners willing and able to a) get QNX and drivers up and running on our
next generation hardware platform and b) port and/or develop application
software for QNX.

Are there any companies and/or individuals out there who can provide this
service?

Michel Benoit

Beyond

Igor Kovalenko

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:28 pm

Why, sure there are... here is one: http://www.astranetwork.com.
Rick and guys, are you listening? Your next project is knocking on the door
;)

Btw Michel, is this a car device? Just curious, after that article in PC Mag
that says Audi has switched too ;)

+
[...]

Chris McKillop

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Chris McKillop » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:31 pm

I can motivate the switch to QNX to our management if I can find expert
partners willing and able to a) get QNX and drivers up and running on our
next generation hardware platform and b) port and/or develop application
software for QNX.

Are there any companies and/or individuals out there who can provide this
service?
There are people. You might want to checkout http://eqip.sf.net/.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:22 am

And this company apparently has worked on the software for the Audrey
appliance with 3Com: http://www.sterling1.com.
They are ought to have some expertise too.

[...]

Mario Charest

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Mario Charest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:58 am

"Michel Benoit" <michel.benoit@saabcom.se> wrote in message
Hello.
Have you though of looking at the QNX partner stuff
http://www.qnx.com/partners/vendors/

The major problem we see with QNX is the availability of knowledgeable
developers (i.e. experts) for BSP porting and application development.
I don't think availability is the problem. The problem is finding each
other, aside the web page I mentionned above (which is incredibly outdated),
there is NO means for company to let the community know about the type of
service they can offer. Well I don't count google as a mean to market
services...

- Mario

Rick Duff

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Rick Duff » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:30 pm

Igor Kovalenko wrote:
Why, sure there are... here is one: http://www.astranetwork.com.
Rick and guys, are you listening? Your next project is knocking on the door
;)
Thanks Igor. I sent off a message as soon as I saw this. I thought it
was actually a really good fit. Haven't heard anything back yet tho. :-(

Rick..

--
Rick Duff Internet: rick@astranetwork.com
Astra Network URL: http://www.astranetwork.com

Igor Kovalenko

Re: QNX + Xscale project

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:50 pm

Must be a looong holiday in Sweden :)

"Rick Duff" <rick@astranetwork.com> wrote in message
Igor Kovalenko wrote:
Why, sure there are... here is one: http://www.astranetwork.com.
Rick and guys, are you listening? Your next project is knocking on the
door
;)

Thanks Igor. I sent off a message as soon as I saw this. I thought it
was actually a really good fit. Haven't heard anything back yet tho. :-(

Rick..

--
Rick Duff Internet: rick@astranetwork.com
Astra Network URL: http://www.astranetwork.com
QNX Consulting and Custom Programming Phone: +1 (204) 997-NETW (6389)

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.xscale”