inetd failure?

bridged with qdn.public.bsp
Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb

Re: inetd failure?

Post by Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:22 pm

Xiaodan Tang wrote:
Good, then it's not problems of telnetd or config file. But some how inetd
can't spawn the telnetd.
Only thing I can think of is the /etc/inetd.conf have different position
of the binary. (Like it is trying
to spawn /sbin/telnetd, but you have telnetd in /usr/sbin/telnetd or some
thing like that...)

It would be helpful to see your /etc/inetd.conf file, and the inetd -d
output (from the time you start
it), and the failure message from telnet.

-xtang
2nd followup:

I was not able to capture the output of inetd -d, so here is
a transcription of what the relevant lines appear to be:

*** partial quote from inetd -d output, and error messages by telnet client:
<first, inetd output>
ADD : telnet proto=tcp wait:max=0.40, user:group=root, builtin=0
server=/usr/sbin/telnetd policy=

<another line, almost identical, for tcp6>
<two ADD : discard lines referrring to tcp and udp>

FREE: telnet proto=tcp6, wait:max=0.40, user:group=root, builtin=0
server=/usr/sbin/telnetd policy=

<when I tried to telnet in from another QNX6 host, inetd produced this:>
someone wants telnet
accept, ctrl 3
36076 reaped, status 0x100
<on the host running the telnet client, this appears>
Trying <IP number>
Connected to <host name>
Connection closed by foreign host.
************ end of transcriptions
Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683, <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote in
message news:b1esh2$9jq$1@inn.qnx.com...
Xiaodan Tang wrote:

Quick test. (for telnetd).

On your target, run "telnetd -debug 3000" (it won't return to prompt,
but
it's ok).
From another host, "telnet <target_ip> 3000".

Does the telnet works ? If it is not, does it say anything ?

-xtang

telnet works in this mode; no "debugging" output shows up on the
host or the target.

Rich

Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683, <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote in
message news:b1ej09$t01$1@inn.qnx.com...

message news:b1eccp$li7$3@inn.qnx.com...
Mario Charest wrote:

"Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683," <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu
wrote
in
message news:b1ck48$jpf$1@inn.qnx.com...
I recently determined that it would be wise to be able to
connected to a target system I am setting up via telnet and ftp.
(I don't think that ssh is available yet...)

I put inetd, inetd.conf, ftpd, and telnetd on the target
system, and inetd starts up without errors (inetd -d output
seems OK), but so far every attempt to connect has failed.
The connection is closed as soon as it is supposedly
established.

Make sure you have files /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.

Those are both present.

You also /etc/protocols depends on what service program running.

-xtang

I copies /etc/protocols over from the host, and restarted inetd. This
did not change anything...

Rich B.

Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb

Re: inetd failure?

Post by Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:37 pm

Xiaodan Tang wrote:
It is NOT working with default port, BUT WORKING with port like "3000" ?

Hm, are you starting it as root ? Did you kill inetd (and probably do a
netstat -na)
to make sure no one is listening on port 23 before you do a "telnetd
-debug 23" ?
Well, it DID work once, with port 3000, when you had me try it last
week. Now it fails for either port 3000 or 23 with either "connection
refused" or "all network ports are in use" if I run telnetd -debug
directly.

The system boots with no network servers (inted, telnetd, ftpd, etc.)
running. "sin" verifies this. If I run netstat, I get a "no namelist"
error. This is probably because we are running ttcpip. (I did try the
full stack, and got the same errors with ftp, telnet, and inetd.)

Rich
-xtang

Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683, <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote in
message news:b1mnlv$156$1@inn.qnx.com...
If that is the problem, why does telnetd -debug not work when it uses
the default port?

I have already posted configuration information in my last responses
to Brian Hlady on this newsgroup (you should be able to see them). I'll
see if I can capture the output of inted -d and post it
on this sub-thread.

Thanks!

Rich

Xiaodan Tang wrote:

Quick test. (for telnetd).

On your target, run "telnetd -debug 3000" (it won't return to
prompt,
but
it's ok).
From another host, "telnet <target_ip> 3000".

Mario Charest wrote:

[...]

Post by Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:43 pm

Oops! Sorry! telnet is working in debug mode with the default
port. The devc-pty driver had not been restarted after a reboot.
It does not work via inetd, though..

Xiaodan Tang wrote:

Quick test. (for telnetd).

On your target, run "telnetd -debug 3000" (it won't return to
prompt,
but
it's ok).
From another host, "telnet <target_ip> 3000".

Mario Charest wrote:

[...]

Post by Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:38 pm

VICTORY!!

It seems much of the problem may have arisen from the
/etc directory not being a conventional dirctory. When
I first tried this, I had to copy the /etc directory and
so some moving and renaming before I could copy configuration
files into it. The ls command shed no light, but apparently
since this directory was initially created by a "link" directive
in the image, it could not be manipulated as a regular directory.
So, instead, I added additional link commands to the build file.
I also had the password and shadow files copied over instead
of creating them specially on the target, along with the /etc/ftpusers
files. These things did the trick.

Perhaps some warning should be put in the documentation about directories
created as a byproduct of "link" directives...

Thanks for your initial responses to me.

Rich

Brian K. Hlady wrote:
Is it possible for you to post your build file, and inetd.conf, please?

Cheers,
-Brian

"Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683," <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote in
message news:b1e7n5$h72$1@inn.qnx.com...
/bin/login is present
/devc-pty was not started, so I am now starting it
(and the pertinent devices do appear) before starting
inetd. This has no effect so far (same error messages
and failure...)

Rich

Brian K. Hlady wrote:

Is devc-pty started? Also, is /bin/login present on your target?

Cheers,
-Brian
--
+================================================+
Brian K. Hlady bhlady@qnx.com

"Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683," <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote
in
message news:b1ck48$jpf$1@inn.qnx.com...
I recently determined that it would be wise to be able to
connected to a target system I am setting up via telnet and ftp.
(I don't think that ssh is available yet...)

I put inetd, inetd.conf, ftpd, and telnetd on the target
system, and inetd starts up without errors (inetd -d output
seems OK), but so far every attempt to connect has failed.
The connection is closed as soon as it is supposedly established.

If I fire up inetd on host system and connect from the target,
things are just fine. The one difference I have noted is that
inetd -d on the host system has a line indicating "excle <name of
program>"
(I hope I spelled that correctly), whereas the target's
inetd -d output does not generate that particular line when login
attempts were made. I tried brining over the libc.so library
to see if that would take care of it, but no go.

It seems I must be missing SOMETHING, but I have not been able
to figure out what this is from the documentation nor from the
error messages (there aren't any).

Any ideas?

Richard B.

Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamb

Re: inetd failure?

Xiaodan Tang wrote:

Quick test. (for telnetd).

On your target, run "telnetd -debug 3000" (it won't return to prompt,
but
it's ok).
From another host, "telnet <target_ip> 3000".

Xiaodan Tang wrote:

Richard Bonomo,6289 Chamberlin,263-4683, <bonomo@sal.wisc.edu> wrote
in
message news:b1eccp$li7$3@inn.qnx.com...
Mario Charest wrote:
VICTORY
see the note I posted to the other sub-thread...
Rich

[...]

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.bsp”