The devn-crys8900.so driver

bridged with qnx.ddk
Post Reply
Jacek Rudnicki

The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:09 am

Hello,

Is the latest release of devn-crys8900 able
to read MAC address from the system page ?

Regards,
Jacek

Robert Craig

Re: The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 pm

Support for reading the MAC address from the system page (and thereby
overriding the EEPROM MAC address) is indeed built into the code. It
looks like this was added before the release of 6.3.0, so it should be
in the shipping version of the driver.

R.

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
Hello,

Is the latest release of devn-crys8900 able
to read MAC address from the system page ?

Regards,
Jacek

Jacek Rudnicki

Re: The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:10 am

One more question.
Is it possible to write MAC address to the system page
while procnto is running ?

Unfortunately, this time we can't do that in startup code.

Jacek

Uzytkownik "Robert Craig" <rcraig_at_qnx@nowhere.com> napisal w wiadomosci

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
Hello,

Is the latest release of devn-crys8900 able
to read MAC address from the system page ?

Regards,
Jacek

Robert Craig

Re: The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi:

As far as I know, writing to the system page after the kernel is up
and running isn't supported (it might be possible, but it isn't
supported). If you don't know the MAC address at boot time, then my
recommendation would be to start the driver (or mount it) using the
"mac=" option on the command line (or by using the "system" function
from a program if the MAC address can't be easily read via a shell script).

Robert

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
Hello,

Is the latest release of devn-crys8900 able
to read MAC address from the system page ?

Regards,
Jacek

Jacek Rudnicki

Re: The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:41 am

Hi Robert,

At present I'm using "mac=" option for the driver and it works fine.

Probably the last question:
Can you tell me if it is possible to create/set "global" environment
variable from C code ?

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
Hello,

Is the latest release of devn-crys8900 able
to read MAC address from the system page ?

Regards,
Jacek

Ryan J. Allen

Re: The devn-crys8900.so driver

Post by Ryan J. Allen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:14 pm

A process can only manipulate the environment for itself and its children.

If you're doing this in startup you could write a program to get the MAC
and print it to stdout and do something like this in an sh startup script:

HWADDR=`getmac`
io-net -dcrys9800 mac=$HWADDR

--
Ryan J. Allen
QNX Software Systems

Post by Q » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 am

Can you tell me if it is possible to create/set "global" environment
variable from C code ?
#include <stdlib.h>

int putenv( const char *env_name ); //Add, change or delete an environment
variable

see also:
getenv(), unsetenv()

David Gibbs

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:12 pm

Q <no@spam.pl> wrote:
Can you tell me if it is possible to create/set "global" environment
variable from C code ?

#include <stdlib.h

int putenv( const char *env_name ); //Add, change or delete an environment
variable

see also:
getenv(), unsetenv()
Yes...but those aren't "global". They change the environment for the
calling process, and (depending on the type of spawn/exec done) will be
inherited by children -- but are not in any way global -- that is, changes
won't be seen by other already running processes, or by processes that
are started by another process.

dagibbs@qnx.com

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.ddk”