QNX 6.3?

bridged with qnx.cafe
Bob Smith

QNX 6.3?

Post by Bob Smith » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:51 pm

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

Rennie Allen

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Rennie Allen » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:27 pm

John Nagle wrote:
Who needs Linux? If you're going to run a Unix-like OS, you
may as well run QNX on the desktop.
With a modern browser and multimedia support coming, QNX 6.3 is almost
viable on the desktop. If OpenOffice
was ported to QNX, it would be feasible to dump Windows
and Linux from developer's desktops.
It's been "feasible" for a long time. I have dumped Windows long ago
(to be truthful, our product has a Windows side, so I have a second
machine running Windows for that purpose, but I spend all my time in QNX).

Not to suggest that OpenOffice wouldn't be cool, but I do all my
documentation in doxygen comments, and produce very nice looking (and
*very* accurate) pdf's automatically (I fail to see how OpenOffice would
improve on this). If your developers are documenting in a word
processor, they are wasting a lot of money, and most likely producing
an inferior document.

I suppose a spreadsheet might be useful on occasion, although, truth be
told, I can't really see it replacing "bc" ;-)

Mario Charest

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Mario Charest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:32 am

"Bob Smith" <bob@home.com> wrote in message news:bvo7hj$do3$2@inn.qnx.com...
Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?
I imagine that yes someone must know.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:34 am

I could tell, but then I'd have to shoot you ;)

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

I imagine that yes someone must know.

Warren Deitch

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Warren Deitch » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:45 am

In a press release

"QNX to Support Linux-hosted Development on QNX Momentics Tool Suite"

from

"Dedicated Systems e-Gazette: Volume 5, Issue 4 of February 3, 2004 "

-------------- start quote ---------------
The Linux-hosted development option for QNX Momentics will be available
at no additional charge for current QNX Momentics customers as part of
their maintenance contracts. The next release of QNX Momentics is
expected in second quarter of 2004.
-------------- end quote ----------------

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

I imagine that yes someone must know.

John Nagle

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by John Nagle » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:23 am

Who needs Linux? If you're going to run a Unix-like OS, you
may as well run QNX on the desktop.

With a modern browser and multimedia support coming,
QNX 6.3 is almost viable on the desktop. If OpenOffice
was ported to QNX, it would be feasible to dump Windows
and Linux from developer's desktops.

John Nagle
Team Overbot

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

I imagine that yes someone must know.

Bob Smith

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Bob Smith » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:34 pm

I like QNX for writing code and what not. Heck, I even love the breakout
port off the 3rd party disk. But for my home machine, that I use when I'm
not working I don't write code. I play games on my home machine, so I can't
get rid of Windows there yet. QNX is fine for most of what I do at work.
But I need CDR support and it's getting hard to buy a system off the shelve
for development that doesn't come with a USB mouse, and printer. (I know
you can set them up manually, I use a USB printer now, but I shouldn't have
to fiddle around to get a mouse, keyboard or printer to work. Those are
basic necessities.) I don't know if Dell still stocks PS2 mice or not.
What I as a developer (I.E. Software Monkey) care about with QNX is what
hardware is going to be supported out of the box, and what features can I
expect to incorporate in my systems to support my customers.

Who needs Linux? If you're going to run a Unix-like OS, you
may as well run QNX on the desktop.
Linux support more hardware then QNX, will run on more laptops, support
tapes, as more application, supports 3D, etc. Hence for big company it
makes senses. Most of these companies don't even develop for x86 anyway!

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

I imagine that yes someone must know.

Bill Caroselli

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:32 pm

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

MC > Linux support more hardware then QNX, will run on more laptops, support
MC > tapes, as more application, supports 3D, etc. Hence for big company it
MC > makes senses. Most of these companies don't even develop for x86 anyway!

Speaking of which, what are people using for multi-GB backups of QNX sytems?

Bob Smith

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Bob Smith » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:27 pm

Really if you are using the gnu tool chain the compilation "host" shouldn't
be a big deal. Gcc can be configured to run on just about anything, and
eclipse is java based so that's no big deal either. Being able to develop
on the platform of choice is a good thing, it give people a chance to get
there feet wet before jumping in head first.

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

MC > Linux support more hardware then QNX, will run on more laptops,
support
MC > tapes, as more application, supports 3D, etc. Hence for big company
it
MC > makes senses. Most of these companies don't even develop for x86
anyway!

Speaking of which, what are people using for multi-GB backups of QNX
sytems?
People don't put gigabytes of data that really should not be lost on QNX
systems... <grin>

For starter, block I/O subsystem in QNX is one of the most neglected and
archaic components. It is still based on 15-year old design with long
filenames shoehorn on the side. I'd say only PCI susbsystem can compete for
that title (now that we have brand new input subsystem that is shipped but
not used, LOL).

You can use DVD-RAM, but it only gives you 4Gb. You can only use QNX or
FAT32 filesystems (no UDF), limiting your file size. And it is not fast by
any measure. If you really need to have lots of storage for a QNX box, I'd
stick a gigabit ethernet into it and hook up to Linux/Solaris/Windows box
with some decent storage setup. Or use one of those NAS boxes. Ok,
technically you can also hook up an external RAID through a SCSI port, but
that's getting out of fashion even faster than QNX SCSI drivers get out of
date. I am in doubt as of which of the latter two approaches will provide
better throughput. Neither block I/O nor IP throughput in QNX are really
exciting.

But you know, it's a great telematics OS. Does context switching awfully
fast and makes it easy to write drivers (too bad nobody bothers). Just don't
assume if it can do one thing well it will do everything...

-- igor

Bill Caroselli

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:50 pm

Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@attbi.com> wrote:
IK > People don't put gigabytes of data that really should not be lost on QNX
IK > systems... <grin>

IK > For starter, block I/O subsystem in QNX is one of the most neglected and
IK > archaic components. It is still based on 15-year old design with long
IK > filenames shoehorn on the side. I'd say only PCI susbsystem can compete for
IK > that title (now that we have brand new input subsystem that is shipped but
IK > not used, LOL).

IK > You can use DVD-RAM, but it only gives you 4Gb. You can only use QNX or
IK > FAT32 filesystems (no UDF), limiting your file size. And it is not fast by
IK > any measure. If you really need to have lots of storage for a QNX box, I'd
IK > stick a gigabit ethernet into it and hook up to Linux/Solaris/Windows box
IK > with some decent storage setup. Or use one of those NAS boxes. Ok,
IK > technically you can also hook up an external RAID through a SCSI port, but
IK > that's getting out of fashion even faster than QNX SCSI drivers get out of
IK > date. I am in doubt as of which of the latter two approaches will provide
IK > better throughput. Neither block I/O nor IP throughput in QNX are really
IK > exciting.

IK > But you know, it's a great telematics OS. Does context switching awfully
IK > fast and makes it easy to write drivers (too bad nobody bothers). Just don't
IK > assume if it can do one thing well it will do everything...

IK > -- igor

Well speed is NOT the highest importance. My goal is to schedule the
backup to happen through the night.

So no one's making a 20 GB tape drive for QNX? Too bad.

What is the largest removable media available these days, like a
Bernoulli Jazz? (Do they even still make them?)

root

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by root » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:20 am

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:23:57 -0800, John Nagle wrote:
Who needs Linux?
You will need it if you have to use the NEWEST Eclipse version for QNX6 :)

Armin

Does anyone know WHEN it will be out and WHAT will be in it?

I imagine that yes someone must know.

Mitchell Schoenbrun

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Mitchell Schoenbrun » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:25 pm

Previously, Bill Caroselli wrote in qnx.cafe:
What is the largest removable media available these days, like a
Bernoulli Jazz? (Do they even still make them?)
Iomega stopped making Jazz drives a while ago. The largest they made
was 2Gig. Given the price of hard drives, one could make a good argument
for just buying drives (about $100.00) and removable trays (about $20.00).

--
Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

Bill Caroselli

Re: QNX 6.3?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:40 pm

Mitchell Schoenbrun <maschoen@pobox.com> wrote:
MS > Previously, Bill Caroselli wrote in qnx.cafe:
What is the largest removable media available these days, like a
Bernoulli Jazz? (Do they even still make them?)
MS > Iomega stopped making Jazz drives a while ago. The largest they made
MS > was 2Gig. Given the price of hard drives, one could make a good argument
MS > for just buying drives (about $100.00) and removable trays (about $20.00).

I have not had good luck with those removable trays. If you actually do
remove and reinstall them often, they have a high failure rate.

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.cafe”