QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

bridged with qnx.cafe
Werner Schweizer

QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:47 pm

Is there already a QNX 6.3.0 version for iPaq/eQip 3870 available?
If yes, Where can I find it?
If no, how can I create ist myself?
MfG
Werner Schweizer

Chris McKillop

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Chris McKillop » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:53 pm

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Is there already a QNX 6.3.0 version for iPaq/eQip 3870 available?
If yes, Where can I find it?
If no, how can I create ist myself?
http://eqip.sf.net/

If you checkout the code from CVS you can compile your own image
under 6.3.0. There are still some issues with the Photon hooks which
is why new images have not been released yet.

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:09 pm

Ok, thank you.
But how can I create a 6.3.0 Kernel to boot the eQip from
or to flash into the eQip, respectively?
Can you give me the command sequence, pleaase.
Do I need special boot code and where can I find it?

MfG
Werner

Post by Chris McKillop » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:34 pm

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, thank you.
But how can I create a 6.3.0 Kernel to boot the eQip from
or to flash into the eQip, respectively?
Can you give me the command sequence, pleaase.
Do I need special boot code and where can I find it?
IF you have 6.3.0 installed, go to the sourceforge project page to
get the details on checking out the code from CVS. Once you have it
you can just run the build-world script and then go into build/ipaq
and run make. This will give you a complete 6.3.0 system, boot image
and flash image.

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Thank you very much!

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, thank you.
But how can I create a 6.3.0 Kernel to boot the eQip from
or to flash into the eQip, respectively?
Can you give me the command sequence, pleaase.
Do I need special boot code and where can I find it?

IF you have 6.3.0 installed, go to the sourceforge project page to
get the details on checking out the code from CVS. Once you have it
you can just run the build-world script and then go into build/ipaq
and run make. This will give you a complete 6.3.0 system, boot image
and flash image.

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:47 pm

To be able to build the system I had to modify the following:
- chmod a+x build-world build/ipaq/genefs.sh
- In build/ipaq/genefs.sh changed #!/bn/bash to #!/bin/sh

After that, I was able to build the it all.
Werner

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, thank you.
But how can I create a 6.3.0 Kernel to boot the eQip from
or to flash into the eQip, respectively?
Can you give me the command sequence, pleaase.
Do I need special boot code and where can I find it?

IF you have 6.3.0 installed, go to the sourceforge project page to
get the details on checking out the code from CVS. Once you have it
you can just run the build-world script and then go into build/ipaq
and run make. This will give you a complete 6.3.0 system, boot image
and flash image.

Chris McKillop <cdm@qnx.com> "The faster I go, the behinder I
get."

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:05 pm

After building eQip, I tried to flash it into the iPaq 3870.
The flashing was ok, but is was not running correctly.
While starting, the following messages were displayed on my serial terminal.
And I got nothing on the iPaq screen.

--------------Terminal session with ARM Boot loader Rev.
2.20.4----------------------
boot> boot qnx

Dcache: 256x32 WB
Icache: 512x32
sa1110 rev 8 207MHz

System page at phys:c0017000 user:fc406000 kern:fc406000
Starting next program at vfe02000c
--- Welcome to Neutrino on the Compaq iPaq ---
--> Starting Serial Console Driver
Unable to start "devc-sersa1100" (13)
Unable to access "/dev/ser3" (2)
Unable to access "/dev/ser3" (2)
Unable to start "devf-ipaq" (13)
Unable to access "/dev/fs0p1" (2)
Unable to start "inflator" (13)
--> Running /etc/init
Unable to start "/etc/init" (2)

----------End-Terminal session with ARM Boot loader Rev.
2.20.4----------------------

Then I tried to flash the 6.2.1 system I downloaded in binary format from
the web,
an this was working.

Can you give me a hint, how I can get the 6.3.0 version running, please.
Thank you for any help.

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, thank you.
But how can I create a 6.3.0 Kernel to boot the eQip from
or to flash into the eQip, respectively?
Can you give me the command sequence, pleaase.
Do I need special boot code and where can I find it?

IF you have 6.3.0 installed, go to the sourceforge project page to
get the details on checking out the code from CVS. Once you have it
you can just run the build-world script and then go into build/ipaq
and run make. This will give you a complete 6.3.0 system, boot image
and flash image.

Chris McKillop <cdm@qnx.com> "The faster I go, the behinder I
get."

Jay Greig

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Jay Greig » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:00 pm

By the looks of things, the efs you loaded on the board had no
executable bits for your binaries (errno 13) - Chris may have more
details on this.

Thanks,
-Jay.

Post by Chris McKillop » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:13 am

Jay Greig <greig@qnx.com> wrote:
By the looks of things, the efs you loaded on the board had no
executable bits for your binaries (errno 13) - Chris may have more
details on this.
Yep, the issue is that you MUST use bash as your shell. If you don't
then the scripts will not run correctly.

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:56 am

Ok, I will try that with bash.
But bash is not installed by default.
Can I use bash from 6.2.1 repository, or is there a new one for 6.3.0 ?
Thanks

Post by Chris McKillop » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:19 pm

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, I will try that with bash.
But bash is not installed by default.
Can I use bash from 6.2.1 repository, or is there a new one for 6.3.0 ?
I just use the one from the 6.2.1 repository. And yes, I realize that
bash isn't installed by default. :)

Werner Schweizer

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Werner Schweizer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:21 pm

I'm still unable to generate a running qnx 6.3.0 on the iPqq 3870.
I did the whole build with bash installed. Same result as before.
Then I did again it with login as root. No success.
When booting the flashed qnx, I always get:
---
boot> boot qnx
Dcache: 256x32 WB
Icache: 512x32
sa1110 rev 8 207MHz

System page at phys:c0017000 user:fc406000 kern:fc406000
Starting next program at vfe02000c
--- Welcome to Neutrino on the Compaq iPaq ---
--> Starting Serial Console Driver
Unable to start "devc-sersa1100" (13)
Unable to access "/dev/ser3" (2)
Unable to access "/dev/ser3" (2)
Unable to start "devf-ipaq" (13)
Unable to access "/dev/fs0p1" (2)
Unable to start "inflator" (13)
--> Running /etc/init
Unable to start "/etc/init" (2)
---
and nothing on the iPaq screen.

What else can I do?

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
Ok, I will try that with bash.
But bash is not installed by default.
Can I use bash from 6.2.1 repository, or is there a new one for 6.3.0 ?

I just use the one from the 6.2.1 repository. And yes, I realize that
bash isn't installed by default. :)

Colin Burgess

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Colin Burgess » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:25 pm

errno 13 is EPERM, which means that you are missing the +x bits on your
executables.

Post by Chris McKillop » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:59 pm

Werner Schweizer <W.Schweizer@swissonline.ch> wrote:
I'm still unable to generate a running qnx 6.3.0 on the iPqq 3870.
I did the whole build with bash installed. Same result as before.
Then I did again it with login as root. No success.
When booting the flashed qnx, I always get:
I think I might know what is wrong. If you check the
build-world script it sets some environment variables,
specifically QCONF_OVERRIDE. You will have to set that before
you do a build. You must be getting errors during the building
of the images that these missing binaries are not found.

Re: QNX 6.3.0 on iPaq 3870

Post by Chris McKillop » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:09 am

I think I might know what is wrong. If you check the
build-world script it sets some environment variables,
specifically QCONF_OVERRIDE. You will have to set that before
you do a build. You must be getting errors during the building
of the images that these missing binaries are not found.
Ignore this - I am way off base. It seems that the pre-built
binaries are not coming out of cvs "chmod 755" for you. So just
do this...

cd eqip/binaries
find . -type f | grep -v CVS | xargs chmod 755

....and rebuild all your imagess. I will update the .mkifs scripts
for eQip to force these attributes.

Return to “qnx.cafe”