How many hew users are using QNX?

bridged with qnx.cafe
Post Reply
John Nagle

How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by John Nagle » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:55 pm

OK, now how many people are on here who started using QNX
recently? (Say, no earlier than QNX 6.2x).

John Nagle

Evan Hillas

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by Evan Hillas » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:12 am

I started on 6.1 but don't do any coding any longer. I'm down to just using QNX for browsing and email since the latest patches are no longer free of charge.

Evan

Bill Caroselli

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:21 pm

I started with 2.15F

"John Nagle" <nagle@downside.com> wrote in message
OK, now how many people are on here who started using QNX
recently? (Say, no earlier than QNX 6.2x).

John Nagle

Francois Joubert

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by Francois Joubert » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 am

I started with 6.2 and is currently using 6.3.

Being an electronic engineer that can program a bit, I found it very
easy to program in this OS.

Will I use this OS in a new project where I require a RTOS? Yes, if I
stay with this company who already purchased a developer's seat. If I
have to move company and/or have to purchase a QNX developer's seat, I
will definitely search for an alternative.

Francois

sb

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by sb » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:06 pm

We (two of us) started with 6.2.1 and are currently using 6.3
(QNX-in-education by now, likely to go commercial in two months).

stefano

Armand C.

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by Armand C. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 am

I started with 6.2.1 for an evaluation. The options where Monta Vista
Linux, VxWorks and QNX.
We are now using QNX 6.3.0 for our project.

Some notes on QNX:
- Momentics is not really perfect: really too heavy (needs lots of RAM
and CPU power), missing lots of features compared to Visual Studio and
NOT STABLE (it does not really crash but some functionalities just work
or not from time to time). What is really good is the QNX system
builder. It's really easy to use compared too others tools (WinCE,
VxWorks, ...)
- For the OS itself I have not special complain, but I'm quite new to RTOS
- The QNX community is really small compared to Windows or Linux. The
result is that you have to subscribe to an expensive support plan from
QNX to get efficient support. I'm not blaming the community, since I got
some very useful help from here, but it's too small. There are some big
companies using QNX and it seems that they don't participate to the
public news groups :-(

Armand C.

John Nagle wrote:
OK, now how many people are on here who started using QNX
recently? (Say, no earlier than QNX 6.2x).

John Nagle

Malte Mundt

Post by Malte Mundt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 pm

- Momentics is not really perfect: really too heavy (needs lots of RAM
and CPU power), missing lots of features compared to Visual Studio and
NOT STABLE (it does not really crash but some functionalities just work
or not from time to time).
90% of these problems are shared by all vendors who use Eclipse as the base
for their tools, so it's not the fault of Momentics. But QNX is working on
it, rest assured!
- For the OS itself I have not special complain, but I'm quite new to RTOS
No special complain... what about special praise, then? ;-)
- The QNX community is really small compared to Windows or Linux. The
result is that you have to subscribe to an expensive support plan from
QNX to get efficient support.
The price isn't that high for the value you get! ;-)
Cheers,

Malte

Bill Caroselli

Post by Bill Caroselli » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:29 pm

"Armand C." <no@mail.com> wrote in message news:e7dh2p$5mp$1@inn.qnx.com...
- Momentics is not really perfect: really too heavy (needs lots of RAM and
CPU power), missing lots of features compared to Visual Studio and NOT
STABLE (it does not really crash but some functionalities just work or not
from time to time). . . .
Someone already commented on Eclipse. I agree.

Judge the stability of the OS by the stability of the resulting software you
are developing. And even then, only after you have ruled out that things
might be your bug.

I will add one last comment. I haven't looked at the very latest
documentation. There are certain OS features that only work under certain
circumstances. They are not always documented in the docs.

Steve Reid

Post by Steve Reid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
I will add one last comment. I haven't looked at the very latest
documentation. There are certain OS features that only work under certain
circumstances. They are not always documented in the docs.
But we keep trying! If you run across something that's missing from
the docs, please post something in the appropriate newsgroup.

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems

Re: How many hew users are using QNX?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:03 pm

Agreed Steve. The docs keep getting better and better. As a long time QNX
user I can remember the QNX 2 docs, such as they were, photo-copies of
photo-copies of pages.

"Steve Reid" <stever@stevernto.ott.qnx.com> wrote in message
Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
I will add one last comment. I haven't looked at the very latest
documentation. There are certain OS features that only work under certain
circumstances. They are not always documented in the docs.

But we keep trying! If you run across something that's missing from
the docs, please post something in the appropriate newsgroup.

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems

Return to “qnx.cafe”