why I can't open the folder which have more than 2000 files?

bridged with qnx.cafe
Post Reply
liut

why I can't open the folder which have more than 2000 files?

Post by liut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:12 am

Why I can't open the folder in QNX 2.x which have more than 2000 files? It
display "Out of memory".

Ken Schumm

Re: why I can't open the folder which have more than 2000 fi

Post by Ken Schumm » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:08 am

"liut" <liut@stee.stengg.com.cn> wrote in message
Why I can't open the folder in QNX 2.x which have more than 2000 files? It
display "Out of memory".
It's been years but as I recall there the large filesystem might be required
to handle that many files in QNX2, the standard filesystem may not handle
it.

maschoen

RE: Re: why I can

Post by maschoen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:57 pm

Ken, what a memory. Yes there was an upgrade around 2.13->2.14.
Just a wild guess. What version are you using? As I recall, having
a directory with that many entries was not a good idea in QNX 2. Even
with all the buffering turned on, a file search in such a directory
took a significant amount of time. While this is happening, no
other I/O can occur.

David Gibbs

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:38 pm

liut <liut@stee.stengg.com.cn> wrote:
Why I can't open the folder in QNX 2.x which have more than 2000 files? It
display "Out of memory".
Are you opening it from the command line? Or in a program?

There are "big" versions of some of the utilities that can handle
larger directory spaces and stuff, e.g. bfiles instead of files.

(That is, I seem to recall that there were. Its been years and
years since I actually used a QNX 2 system.)

dagibbs@qnx.com

maschoen

Post by maschoen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:56 pm

David Gibbswrote:
liut <liut@stee.stengg.com.cn> wrote:

(That is, I seem to recall that there were. Its been years and
years since I actually used a QNX 2 system.)

David, believe it or not, I use one almost every day, lol.

David Gibbs

Post by David Gibbs » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:47 pm

maschoen <maschoen@pobox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
David Gibbswrote:
liut <liut@stee.stengg.com.cn> wrote:

(That is, I seem to recall that there were. Its been years and
years since I actually used a QNX 2 system.)

David, believe it or not, I use one almost every day, lol.
I believe it -- I know they are still out there. I just haven't
used on in years myself.

dagibbs@qnx.com

Miguel Simon

Re: why I can't open the folder which have more than 2000 fi

Post by Miguel Simon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:53 am

Hi...

Just curious... what do you use your QNX.2 for every day? Thanks.

Regards...

Miguel.

maschoen wrote:
David Gibbswrote:
liut <liut@stee.stengg.com.cn> wrote:
(That is, I seem to recall that there were. Its been years and
years since I actually used a QNX 2 system.)

David, believe it or not, I use one almost every day, lol.

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.cafe”