bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

bridged with qnx.evaluation
Post Reply
Sam Miller

bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

Post by Sam Miller » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:11 pm

I am stuck!

I just installed the 6.3 evaluation ISO. (windows XP host) The development
environment seems to work ok. However, It's not clear how to create a
bootable X86 target CD-rom.... Or, for that matter, how to install the
target in any manner.

I was able to boot off of an old NC cdrom ISO (qnxnc621.iso).

I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Sam

Chris McKillop

Re: bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

Post by Chris McKillop » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:46 am

Sam Miller <samred2@ansync.com> wrote:
I am stuck!
You just need to download the self hosted ISO and you can boot from it
and install on your target.

Sam Miller

Re: bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

Post by Sam Miller » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:41 am

Chris,

Thanks for your help. When I try to download an eval for the "QNX Momentics
x86 host version", after agreeing to the EULA I get sent back to the page
asking for me to type in my email address again. (endless loop). What do I
do now?

Sam

Post by Chris McKillop » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:44 am

Sam Miller <samred2@ansync.com> wrote:
Chris,

Thanks for your help. When I try to download an eval for the "QNX Momentics
x86 host version", after agreeing to the EULA I get sent back to the page
asking for me to type in my email address again. (endless loop). What do I
do now?
No idea. What browser are you using?

Fred Hansen

Re: bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

Post by Fred Hansen » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:04 pm

The email exchange below was on August 4, 2004.
It suggests one can boot off the self-hosted CDrom.

I cannot.

I downloaded 6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso and burned a CD with windows
cdburn.exe. When I boot from that CD on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, no
image is found and the boot reverts to the disk boot.

Question: Is there really a bootable image on
6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso? If so, how can I boot it?

Thanks, Fred Hansen

Post by David Gibbs » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:53 pm

Fred Hansen <zweibieren@yahoo.com> wrote:
The email exchange below was on August 4, 2004.
It suggests one can boot off the self-hosted CDrom.

I cannot.

I downloaded 6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso and burned a CD with windows
cdburn.exe. When I boot from that CD on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, no
image is found and the boot reverts to the disk boot.
I booted my Toshiba Satellite P20 from the shipped (on physical media)
QNX self-hosted CD. (I did have to go into the bios and disable
hyperthreading, though, to get keyboard input to work properly.)
Question: Is there really a bootable image on
6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso? If so, how can I boot it?
And, while I don't know anything about cdburn.exe -- I do know that
with Nero you have to do something different in the CD writing tools
to burn a bootable data disk, as opposed to a data disc.

So, it may be a burning process thing.

dagibbs@qnx.com

Bill Caroselli

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:13 pm

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
DG > Fred Hansen <zweibieren@yahoo.com> wrote:
The email exchange below was on August 4, 2004.
It suggests one can boot off the self-hosted CDrom.

I cannot.

I downloaded 6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso and burned a CD with windows
cdburn.exe. When I boot from that CD on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, no
image is found and the boot reverts to the disk boot.
DG > I booted my Toshiba Satellite P20 from the shipped (on physical media)
DG > QNX self-hosted CD. (I did have to go into the bios and disable
DG > hyperthreading, though, to get keyboard input to work properly.)
Question: Is there really a bootable image on
6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso? If so, how can I boot it?
DG > And, while I don't know anything about cdburn.exe -- I do know that
DG > with Nero you have to do something different in the CD writing tools
DG > to burn a bootable data disk, as opposed to a data disc.

DG > So, it may be a burning process thing.

I have burned a 6.3 CD from the downloaded image and YES it is bootable.

When you look at the CD do you see a single file 'whatever.iso'? If
so, then you burned the CD incorrectly.

The ISO image contains a complete multi-level file system. When the CD
is mounted you should see that file system.

Mohamed

Re: bootable CDrom for x86 target installation

Post by Mohamed » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:48 am

Folks, I'm seeing the same problem here and I don't see a specific solution.

I burned 3 CDs using different applications
I can see the file structure and autorun works when i insert the cd in my
drive
I can boot using any other bootable cd - means I have no hardware issue
I even tried to mount the iso on a virtual PC without burning it

All these trials faild

the ISO I'm burning is: 6[1].3.0-win32-200405141126.iso

Any Ideas??

Mohamed

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
[...]

Joe Mammone

[...]

6.3.0-qnx6-200405141702.iso is the Windows hosted tools, so this CD is
not bootable, it is to be installed on Windows. The only bootable
Momentics CD is the Neutrino Hosted (so you can install Neutrino).

-Joe

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.evaluation”