Post Reply
pogo

does 30 license begin @ download time or install time ?

Post by pogo » Thu May 11, 2006 5:32 am

Does the 30 day license start from the time I downloaded the QNX
version or does it start from when I install it ? I ask because I
have downloaded 2 different versions over the past few days but
have not installed them yet, and I received a license and key email
for each.

thanks !

Eric Johnson

Re: does 30 license begin @ download time or install time ?

Post by Eric Johnson » Wed May 17, 2006 3:10 pm

The 30 days is based on when the key was generated, not the date that you
install.

"pogo" <pogo@addressunreal.com> wrote in message
Does the 30 day license start from the time I downloaded the QNX
version or does it start from when I install it ? I ask because I
have downloaded 2 different versions over the past few days but
have not installed them yet, and I received a license and key email
for each.

thanks !

Will Marchant

Re: does 30 license begin @ download time or install time ?

Post by Will Marchant » Wed May 17, 2006 8:57 pm

After 30 days I started to get the message about the system being for
non-commercial use. I'm still doing some evaluation for my University
based project so I'm non-commercial. But the compiler has stopped
working and asks for a license key. Do I need to turn something on/off
to continue using the system for non-commercial use? Thanks for any info!
Will

Does the 30 day license start from the time I downloaded the QNX
version or does it start from when I install it ? I ask because I
have downloaded 2 different versions over the past few days but
have not installed them yet, and I received a license and key email
for each.

thanks !

Mario Charest

Post by Mario Charest » Thu May 18, 2006 12:20 pm

"Will Marchant" <marchant@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
After 30 days I started to get the message about the system being for
non-commercial use. I'm still doing some evaluation for my University
based project so I'm non-commercial. But the compiler has stopped working
and asks for a license key. Do I need to turn something on/off to
continue using the system for non-commercial use? Thanks for any info!
There is no such thing as non-commercial anymore. It's it's a University
you might try contact QSS to get into an educational license (if there is
still such a thing)
Will

Does the 30 day license start from the time I downloaded the QNX
version or does it start from when I install it ? I ask because I
have downloaded 2 different versions over the past few days but
have not installed them yet, and I received a license and key email
for each.

thanks !

Alex/Systems 104

Post by Alex/Systems 104 » Fri May 19, 2006 6:34 am

On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:20:14 +0200, Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1>
wrote:
There is no such thing as non-commercial anymore. It's it's a University
you might try contact QSS to get into an educational license (if there is
still such a thing)
Yes there is
http://www.qnx.com/company/education/

davcamer

RE: Re: does 30 license begin @ download time or install tim

Post by davcamer » Sat May 20, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi, I'm a bit confused about this too. Although the in-Education
program offers one option, there apparently used to be another free
non-commercial option. For example, in the FAQ for the in-Education
program they say "Educational users who don't qualify for the
QNX-in-Education program may still use the QNX Momentics development
suite Non-Commercial Edition, which is available for download free of
charge." But they don't link to the system, it didn't turn up on s
site search and it isn't clear to me if you can use the OS in this
situation, or just the development tools.

Has the non-commercial program referred to there been cancelled?
http://www.qnx.com/company/education/fa ... howqualify

Dave

JohnMcClurkin

Post by JohnMcClurkin » Tue May 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Will Marchant wrote:
After 30 days I started to get the message about the system being for
non-commercial use. I'm still doing some evaluation for my University
based project so I'm non-commercial. But the compiler has stopped
working and asks for a license key. Do I need to turn something on/off
to continue using the system for non-commercial use? Thanks for any info!
QNX 630 will convert to non-commercial after 30 days unless you purchase
some type of license. The things that are turned off in the
non-commercial version are the Eclipse IDE and the qcc compiler.
However, qcc is just a wrapper for gcc. It is gcc that actually does the
compiling and linking, and gcc continues to work in the non-commercial
version. PhaB, the photon application builder also continues to work in
the non-commercial version.
It is not too difficult to convert the Makefiles to use gcc. For some
examples, go to http://lsr-web.net and click on Tools->REX->rex7_pci.
Download qnx630Rex77_17Nov2005.tar.gz. Unpack the tarball and look for
files that end in .gcc, such as Makefile.gcc or indLfiles.gcc. If you
built your evaluation applications with Eclipse, you will have to
continue without it. You just have to create your applications the old
fashion way: with a text editor.
Will

Does the 30 day license start from the time I downloaded the QNX
version or does it start from when I install it ? I ask because I
have downloaded 2 different versions over the past few days but
have not installed them yet, and I received a license and key email
for each.

thanks !

Eric Johnson

Re: Re: does 30 license begin @ download time or install tim

Post by Eric Johnson » Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 pm

As someone else helpfully pointed out, the Momentics EULA allows for
noncommercial use of the self-hosted product after an evaluation license
expires. Certain features that are useful for commercial development are
turned off, but you would still be able to use gcc (not qcc). At one point
there was a full noncommercial edition, however this no longer exists. If
you think you would qualify for the educational program that's a good way to
go since all the product features are provided, which is not the case with
an expired evaluation license.

Here's the relevant section of the current Momentics EULA (from section B2
License Rights):

(c) Continuing Time Limited Licenses. If you received Software under an
evaluation, subscription or other time-limited license, then your right to
use the Software will end when the term of your license expires. At that
time you may purchase a commercial license or renew your subscription.
Alternatively, you may continue using the unlocked portions of the QNX
Momentics Development Suite (including those components of the Neutrino RTOS
normally provided in binary form with the QNX Momentics Development Suite)
under the terms of this Agreement, provided that such use is limited solely
to: (1) use for Non-Commercial Purposes; and (2) use in a self-hosted (i.e.,
Neutrino RTOS hosted) development environment targeting x86 processors as
well as iPAQ reference designs. Project Software is not eligible for use
under this non-commercial license.

- Eric

"davcamer" <dave.bc@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
Hi, I'm a bit confused about this too. Although the in-Education
program offers one option, there apparently used to be another free
non-commercial option. For example, in the FAQ for the in-Education
program they say "Educational users who don't qualify for the
QNX-in-Education program may still use the QNX Momentics development
suite Non-Commercial Edition, which is available for download free of
charge." But they don't link to the system, it didn't turn up on s
site search and it isn't clear to me if you can use the OS in this
situation, or just the development tools.

Has the non-commercial program referred to there been cancelled?
http://www.qnx.com/company/education/fa ... howqualify

Dave

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.evaluation”